DF-21 - Taking Dark Forces into the 21st Century FORUM
DF-21 - the Dark Forces Homepage
Downloads: the biggest collection of user-made Dark Forces levels, editing programs and components on the web
Projects: Dark Forces levels currently under construction
Forum: The Dark Forces forum
Chat: Talk about anything Dark Forces related.
Articles: tutorials and help for Dark Forces editing, and more
Hall of Fame: The best levels out there
Links: Other Dark Forces sites and editing resources
Login
Register

Guide to running custom DF levels in DOS Box and DARKXL?

Patrick_H

Post Posted: 2017-01-05 18:02:08 

The Dark XL site seems to be down...but I thought DF-21 once had an article of how to run custom missions in DOSBox and maybe also on DarkXL.

I just advertised this site on the Steam Dark Forces community hub, not knowing that there isn't any information anymore about running the missions. Is that true? If it is, then its pretty much the nail in the coffin for DF-21 if no one knows how to play anything.

Taton

Post Posted: 2017-01-05 22:41:40 

http://web.archive.org/web/20140905195452/http://www.df-21.net/articles/install.html

This is what DF-21 used to have. VDMSound, that's a blast from the past.

Definitely need an updated article for Native DOS, DOSbox, GOG release, and Steam Release.

I'm going to get started on a General Dosbox Tutorial for now.

Patrick_H

Post Posted: 2017-01-06 09:58:59 

YouTube link about steam DF in DarkXL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNK9CuSPcx0

Taton

Post Posted: 2017-01-06 13:50:54 

Hey Jon,

Can we get a "pinned" news update at the top of the front page where we can direct new people to an appropriate Welcome / Tutorial Page?

Patrick_H

Post Posted: 2017-01-06 13:58:05 

+1

jon-t

Post Posted: 2017-01-06 16:06:35 

While that may be possible, I think the first, most important thing to do would be to reconstruct the articles section and write a super well written, up to date guide. We also need to make a sticky forum topic with a link to the article for discussion and questions (like there was on the old forum). (note to Taton, sticky threads don`t actually do anything yet. I`ll fix that soon)

FenirStardust

Post Posted: 2017-01-17 11:26:31 

@talon your link seems broken.
FOREVETYONE ELSE
Place the files in the dark install folder then use this command
Example:
Dark.exe -unameofgob.gob
There is no space bettween to -u and yourgob.gob.
In dosbox one would mount the install folder as a drive, and the darkforces disc files folder as another mounted drive letter. Then do the above. The iso is unessary, it's 30megs and only expects to be on a folder named dark, as seen on the CDROM.
If you need help mounting folders as fake drives /from with in dosbox, for dosbox's dos emulation/ look that up. One can optionally use portable version with a fixed config file for a one click solution.