DF-21 - Taking Dark Forces into the 21st Century FORUM
DF-21 - the Dark Forces Homepage
Downloads: the biggest collection of user-made Dark Forces levels, editing programs and components on the web
Projects: Dark Forces levels currently under construction
Forum: The Dark Forces forum
Chat: Talk about anything Dark Forces related.
Articles: tutorials and help for Dark Forces editing, and more
Hall of Fame: The best levels out there
Links: Other Dark Forces sites and editing resources
Login
Register

Dark Forces in Unreal Engine

Patrick_H

Post Posted: 2017-04-10 12:44:28 

Hi all, I have been working with Unreal Engine alot lately, and it occurs to me that re-creating Dark Forces levels in that engine would be a fun exercise, and not really that difficult.

The MORE exciting part for me however, is realizing that once that was achieved, it could be greatly enhanced with modern features.

I guess what I am envisioning is a Dark Forces 'retro futurist' version. 'Retro Futurist Forces'?

Imagine if Dark Forces 2 was made using the JEDI engine v2.0 - it would be as if the sprite graphics were upgraded, and more depth to the gameplay was added as well. Its sort of imagining if Dark Forces 2 were made on a 'higher-res' console from 1998 or Win2k PC (Genesis, SNES). So its still sprite based enemies, but double pixel resolution.

Other features COULD be:
- WAX enemies with BEHAVIOR TREES: PATROL, IDLE, CONVERSATION, ATTACK, COVER BEHAVIOR, etc.
- WAX allies (WAX vs. WAX action)
- NPCs with interactive conversation trees
- enhanced, 'semi-modern' inventory, republic credits and economy

I wonder how much interest would be generated by this- not just in the ashes of the Dark Forces community, but by retro gamers in general?

I liked DarkXL's graphics boosting, but I would have been more excited by enhanced gameplay.

Patrick_H

Post Posted: 2017-04-21 20:08:42 

I am actually getting this to work, believe it or not. I have gotten as far as setting up the player HUD, and a working blaster pistol. Halfway through a working Stormtrooper enemy. Once I have basic Katarn vs. Storm combat working I will post a video.

Taton

Post Posted: 2017-04-22 19:07:52 

Hey Patrick, that sounds awesome.

Here's some completely unwarranted feature creep for you:

1. Thermal Detonators hot-keyed to use as grenades.
2. So your gonna use this for Dark Tide V, right?

Patrick_H

Post Posted: 2017-04-24 13:22:20 

New key binds are pretty easy.

I am setting up 'starter weapons' now - Punch, Pistol, Blaster Rifle. The guns and fist all are toggleable on screen more or less as it is seen in the original. Swapping can be done on the 1,2,3 keys AND mouse wheel.

The guns fire a red bolt projectile and have the impact fx show on hit, and the HUD tracks the energy unit ammo count.

Next step for the weapons is to set up damage values and sound fx, and then give actual health values to the player and enemy (Stormtrooper).

Nikumubeki

Post Posted: 2017-04-26 13:14:41 

Awesome!

In fact, one of the first things that came to my mind while playing the UE4 Mos Eisley tech demo ( https://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?67790-Mos-Eisley-UE4-Free-Tech-Demo ) and randomly firing around with the blaster for a while was: "Man, if only there was a Dark Forces-like shooter utilizing UE4".

Patrick_H

Post Posted: 2017-04-26 16:42:26 

Not entirely sure what form this new DF will take, but I picture maybe something a bit 'RPG lite'- like System Shock or Deus Ex? I am just trying to (mostly) clone the game into UE4 first, and then mod it from there.

jon-t

Post Posted: 2017-04-27 01:31:28 

Actually, I was working on exactly this a couple years ago, and that is what the "Remake Development" section is for. If you would be open to making this a community project, I think it would be neat to see what we could do in terms of a full remake. No pressure though, I eagerly await screenshots/videos!

Patrick_H

Post Posted: 2017-04-28 14:19:16 

Oh is that why that button exists?

I don't really want to Remake the game, more just remake the 'blueprint code' and content conversion that would allow making new levels. I personally probably wouldn't go farther than re-creating Secret Base.

The project is more a warm-up to develop other games using the same blueprint. Once I reached that stage and put together a Secret Base demo I would consider releasing the thing into the wild.

Patrick_H

Post Posted: 2017-04-28 14:24:38 

Side note: Should remake use sprite renders based on SW Battlefront weapons?

Bryar pistol here:

https://cdnb.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/003/785/375/large/erik-rading-swbf-erikrading-bryarpistol-resized.jpg?1477475699

Patrick_H

Post Posted: 2017-05-31 00:46:56 

Just to prove I am not crazy, here is a test video:

https://youtu.be/r3PRV6n8sZ8

jon-t

Post Posted: 2017-05-31 10:57:30 

Oh My Gosh!! That is beautiful! I especially love the shading and ao, it makes it look absolutely amazing. The dark lighting and slight blue cast really adds to the atmosphere. I also noticed the left stormtrooper turns white for a moment when we see his back image at 39 seconds, bad export perhaps? Anyway, really good work, I am very excited to see what this turns into.

Taton

Post Posted: 2017-05-31 21:03:23 

Looks like a nice start Patrick.

Is it ok for me to post your updates on the main page / twitter account, or do you want to limit the exposure? (DOZENS MIGHT SEE IT!!)

Patrick_H

Post Posted: 2017-05-31 21:57:59 

Yeah go ahead and post. My plan is to make it free to owners of DF. I don't know if Disney would even care about a standalone game that uses content from a 23 year old game but I would like to keep it as legit as necessary. I posted some of the details about future accessibility on YouTube and the Dark Forces Steam forum.

Patrick_H

Post Posted: 2017-06-05 13:24:54 

Started a Steam Group for the project:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SWDarkForcesUnreal

jon-t

Post Posted: 2017-06-05 13:29:02 

hey, did you mean to make the other topic?

Burning Gundam

Post Posted: 2017-06-05 21:16:57 

Joined the group; I'm Jimbo Sensei :)

Patrick_H

Post Posted: 2017-06-05 22:07:57 

Thanks for joining!

...nope, didn't mean to start other topic. It's funny how our BB tools seem as old as DF!