DF-21 Forums Forum Index DF-21 Forums
The Dark Forces Community

DF-21.net Home | FAQ | Search | Memberlist  | Register 
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

ChromoForces Project

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fish
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2006 11:16    Post subject: ChromoForces Project View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Hello lads, experience has shown it's best to announce a project when it's nearing completion. So here it is - a tool I developed initially to help me with my Lava Planet level, but it kept on evolving to a separate new project.

It's a palette and color map editor, uninventively named ChromoForces. Although it's possible to manually edit the specific colors in the palettes, it's main area of operations will be color maps that can be calculated automatically, according to some specific parameters, etc. It should offer help with making fog&dust effects (e.g. Gromas Mines), defining zero-lighting maps (Condition Red, AoNS), etc.

At the moment, the code is about 85% complete and quite soon it will be available for beta-testing and comments on extra functions users would like, questions, et cetera.
Sorry, Mac users, so far I've been only working on the PC Windows version. Compatible with 95, 98, Me, 2000, XP and Vista.

Of course, if you have any suggestions already, write them here - if not already included, it might be easier to implement them now when the code is not finalised yet.

I will announce here when ChromoForces is ready for beta testing - quite soon. Stay tuned.

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2006 15:04    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

This is great Fish. Pacmut is ok, but I hate the way you have to edit each colour individually.
Cmped is good too, but unfortunately it's dos based, and it relies on weird commands.

This looks real user-friendly. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Patrick Haslow
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2006 15:17    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Pretty. I like good GUIs.
Although shouldn't it be called "Chromaforces"? At least in English it should be.

Lionel Fouillen
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2006 19:21    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

ChromaForces should be correct indeed. And it definitely looks like a terrific GUI. Thanks fish for your efforts.

Fish
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2006 11:57    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

ChromaForces? Oh. Thanks for pointing that out. I supposed if there's "quantum chromOdynamics", I could apply the same to the software... Smile
(Anyway, name is not important, but it doesn't have to be "Dark Forces Palette and Color Map Editor 1.0".)

If you have any suggestions regarding the options it should offer, shoot!

Fish
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2006 10:49    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Okay, the first ChromaForces beta (but already quite operable) is ready! I've just uploaded it to DF-21, so expect to have it relatively soon available for download.

Please report the bugs you find, as well as suggestions how to improve this software until the final version. In the ZIP download you will find an installation executable, beta release notes, a sample color map and palette, and a manual in PDF format. It's quite rigid and a designer's nightmare, but it will serve its purpose. Happy beta editing!

Jackson
Dark Trooper Phase 2

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2006 11:47    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Annnnnd here it is:

http://df-21.net/downloads/temp/ChromaForces_Beta077.zip

I won't have the chance to test it m'self -- finals week, eek! -- but good luck to those who can.

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2006 13:10    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I just had a quick go of it. It seems really cool. The one thing I'd ask for is an undo feature, but I'm sure you already plan to have this feature.

I'm going to have a lot of fun with this I'd say.

Fish
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2006 15:48    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Yes, check the release notes text file, the undo feature is planned already to be available in the 1.0. I didn't want yet to include it in this beta, as I have been having some problems with its reliability. But it will eventually be implemented, for sure.

Thanks for the compliments.

Fish
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2006 13:02    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Has anyone already toyed around with this program? Any feedback or suggestions would be welcome.
(Do it now, while I'm still single and can spend much of my time programming. Smile )

DF4GL4ever
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2006 05:27    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Pretty cool little app. One feature that might be useful would be to be able to select say 16 colors, then open up a dialog box that would assign a gradient evenly across those colors based on 2 chosen endpoint colors, say blue and green. Unless I overlooked an easy way to do it that's already there... I hope it's not too late to add something like that, if it is that's ok. Very useful program Smile

Fish
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Jul 03, 2006 09:30    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

OK, no problem, I will add it in the final release. Any other ideas/suggestions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> Showcase All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: