DF-21.net Home | FAQ | Search | Memberlist  | Register 
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

The Dark Tide IV: Empire (* * * * *)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fenwar
Admiral Ackbar
Admiral Ackbar

PostPosted: Oct 16, 2007 09:59    Post subject: The Dark Tide IV: Empire (* * * * *) View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

So, here it is. I haven't actually played it, but I'm trusting Mr Brien to have delivered a five-star level here. If it's even half as good as the screenshots looked then it's definitely in that category.

Play it:

http://df-21.net/downloads/missions/dtide4.zip

Review it:

Jackson
Dark Trooper Phase 2

PostPosted: Oct 16, 2007 19:06    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of playing it -- just dropped down to the prequel-style city. A job very, very well done, Barry. Action-packed, very kinetic. And nice work incorporating the ISO building!

(More when I've finished the mission...)

Taton
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Oct 16, 2007 20:24    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

GAH! I just reformatted and deleted Dark Forces.

And my CDs are in Miami...

GAH!

P.S.: Would Anyone be willing to provide me with a DARK directory? I have 2 CD's, but I left them at home.

Nikana
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Oct 16, 2007 23:26    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I might be able to help, Taton. Do you just need the files that are in a normal C:\Dark directory or what? I have a bunch of add-ons/weapon patches/etc lurking in that folder but I could sift thru it and zip up the necessary files needed to run the game if you know which exactly those are that you need.

Not sure if it matters but since you said your cd's were out of town or whatever I guess I should mention I use a partial install for DF (still run the game from cd) so I don't know if that means there's files that aren't installed/accessible or whatever. Anyway, if any of this helps or I can share files to get you going let me know.

Darth Oosha
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Oct 17, 2007 03:22    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

man, I have no idea when I'll get around to trying to relearn VDMSound and DOSBox. Probably not soon, though. Sorry!

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Oct 17, 2007 13:30    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Difficulty is way too hard, and sometimes it's difficult to tell where you need to go next. [Higher FPS does make it easier.]

There are three vents you walk through at the beginning. The middle one is not solid, at all. [Caused by low FPS.]

The boxes you jump up to reach the air vent after falling through it? The lowest box is too close to the edge imo. I keep falling off the box into the abyss. [Higher FPS helps.]

And then there's the ledge you jump up to after the second box. I keep having to hold forward, but FPS suffers so much from the blinking room I frequently end up going too far and falling into the pit. [Higher FPS helps.]

Argh I'll play this some other time, it's too early for frustrating jumping puzzles.

Last edited by The MAZZTer on Oct 18, 2007 17:52; edited 1 time in total

Taton
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Oct 17, 2007 14:04    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Dark Tide IV Rocked!

The Jumping Puzzles were a litte annoying and it bothered me that you had to guess for the code. Other than that, it was great! I also discovered where you have to shoot the switch to deactivate the forcefield, you can jump around the forcefield instead.

The Architecture was amazing, though near the beginning of the the second mission, there was a giant pedestal that seemed to be missing something.

The level was very clean, well-textured, and challenging. The Neon Signs and particle effects were awesome. The Walking ATST = Win.

I still think that the 2nd Dark Tide was my favorite, but this one is still in the top echelons of Level Editing.

Kudos to Barry, Patrick, and Matt.

milo_antu
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Oct 18, 2007 03:54    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I didnt have enough time to read all the threads, but this is my expirence so far...

1st level was great, with the exceptions...uhh... i think that first part where you go into the vents and you have a series of death traps which are those holes that make you fall to ur death, the first one was solid, I didnt fall. Most of the time on the 1st level i died of falling due to me just trying to figure out where to go. Kick-arse job of the buildings and traffic though.

As for the second level, i couldnt play becouse right when the elevator stops and all those stormtroopers come out, the first shot kicks me out of the game. I dont know if you can fix that, or if i need to use a different comp or what. But i dont want to start the 3rd level till i do the 2nd.

DF Veteran
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Oct 18, 2007 07:03    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

*clap, clap, clap, clap, clap*

Beautiful, guys! I loved it! It's been a while since there was a level with so much jumping and I enjoyed that. It got anoying sometimes, but there were a lot of lives to give enough chances, and since it was a city it was appropriate.

Awesome architecture! The walking ATSTs were sweet! I loved the puzzle in the second mission where you have to clean yourself up. Very cool.

There were no glitches that I encountered. The only thing that I saw was the "default" texture at the begining of the first level on the turbolift, but seeing as how DT4 was so enjoyable I find it easy to overlook. Wink

DT4 definatly gets a (* * * * *) rating from me.

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Oct 18, 2007 15:44    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

More bugs:

The large orange pipe you walk across has no bottom!

The gray pipes in the area below? Some of them crush you for no apparant reason if you attempt to climb over them. [Caused by low FPS.]

After going through the sewage, you get to hear Kyle gasping for breath for the rest of the level. [Caused by low FPS.]

The thermal det explosion and the diagona have some purple pixels.

The thermal det explosion sounds odd... I don't think it fits. Sad

At the catwalk area after the swim, one of the catwalk 3dos has a gap between it and the ledge.

When you drop down into the next area, and blow open a grate, there's another grate that looks like you have to blow it open, but you hit space instead. Some consistency is needed (have it look more like a door or hatch or something).

In the mirrored floor area, at the bottom of the elevator, it is possible to fall through the alt floor if you run into the room from the crate-stacking room. [Caused by low FPS.]

It's possible to send the elevator you take down to Vader's level back up without being on it, but when you go through the shafts it's still there!

In the room before the elevator shafts (with all the boxes), the ceiling heights in the box sectors don't match the surrounding room height, so the ceiling is jagged.

After I broke Vader's grip he just stood there looking like an idiot. I don't think that was supposed to happen. When I walk up to him I get pushed back (but I can jump over to continue the level). [Caused by low FPS.]

The code doesn't move far enough, so each time I use it it only moves HALF a character.

On level two, it isn't obvious you have to go jumping over the rooftops.

The water fountain didn't immediately tell me how to use it once I jumped it in. But this could have been by design (I hadn't talked to the bouncer yet). [This happened again so I assume it is by design.]

[I got a BSoD, dumb Virtual PC. I'll continue later.]

On level 3, space does NOT let you exit the ATST. I had to cheat to get out. The door is also not completely destroyed (you can walk straight through it though).

After the ATAT, it is possible to jump AROUND the force field to the left as an alternate puzzle solution. However the force field has no back texture.

The game froze when I switched to the concussion rifle when I just got inside the TIE Base.

Things I really really liked:

The nod to the "Imperial City" level.

Darth Vader's shadow.

The various "Press Space" interaction things.

The nightclub music! I hear part of a Dark Forces remix MP3 in there I have!

The boss fight at the end.

The TIE and ATST cockpits.

The game in general. The textures and architecture at city level are perfect.

I'm going to play it again in a VM instead of DOSBox, hopefully most of these problems are due to a low framerate which a VM should resolve.

Patrick Haslow
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Oct 19, 2007 08:10    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

A fitting end of an era. I can't believe that a mod series started 8 years ago developed and then ended with such a great final chapter. Looking back over the 4 episodes, I am really glad that each one is so different from the next, yet directly linear in transitions.

Congratulations Barry! I am really glad you were able to finish it, and my eternal apologies for taking so long to complete the previous installment. The city environment couldn't have been done better. It captures the feel of Coruscant from AotC perfectly. It has so many scenes of grandeur, and pushes the engine to its limits for one last time. It wonderfully blends cameo elements from the films as well, and the appearance of Vader superbly echoes his sinister appearance to Luke in Cloud City.

A number of the bugs on MZZT's list are probably due to the unpredictability of playing Dark Forces on a modern PC. Anything we do nowadays beyond the original game isn't always reliable. Although a few bugs are design related, most mentioned I never saw after I played through the levels dozens of times, and most of those bugs I had not seen replicated.

Barry and Matt started this enormous undertaking together, and I only occasionally acted as a sounding board for ideas. Matt constructed most of the beginning from the ISO building to the trip through the sewer pipe. Barry did most of the level design from that point on, and I think he probably rebuilt the whole thing several times over. There were even a few exciting sequences that were cut (an attack by a TIE bomber and a flaming, toppled building escape, I remember). For a long while, I had wanted for the last mission to be an invasion of Prince Xizor's Palace- something for which I revamped the age-old Xizor's palace level. The map ends where it must, however, and if the final chapter is ever made it will be for an engine that can support greater ambitions.

Congratulations, and thanks Barry for contributing a spectacular show in our great creative effort!

Taton
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Oct 19, 2007 21:05    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Are you gonna release the original Xizor's Palace? I for one would still love to see it.

Geoffrey S
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Oct 19, 2007 22:55    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

While I'm unable to play, I must extend my congratulations to Barry for all the hard work put into finishing a DF legend. If the released screenshots are anything to go by Dark Tide IV raises the engine to its final limits and is a fitting closure for a classic game.

Again, congrats!

Edit: closure? Ah, forgot about Archangel III!

Pumpkinetics
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Oct 21, 2007 09:43    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Hey now, some of us still need to make our mark on the community.

Otherwise, a worthy addition to the Dark Tide series. I was only hit by one bug, and the same bug appears in Mt. Kurek, so I'll let it slide. Very nice job.

"WORKIN' ON IT! I SWEAR!"

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Oct 22, 2007 19:20    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Hey guys thanks for all your comments.
Thanks to Mega for his in-depth analysis. I have already uploaded a version that addresses one or two design features (orange pipe 3do missing, differing ceiling textures in crate room), though I did not realsise that the force-field in level 3 could be jumped around. Oh well.
Some of the other problems you experienced are bizarre and must be down to whatever emulator you are using.

I'm sorry that so many found the jumping puzzles tough. I guess it is pretty difficult in places, but I made the level in relation to what I found to be an appropriate level of difficulty.
As I said i designed the levels on a Win98 machine, and unfortunately nobody has those anymore.

Once again thanks for all your support, and if anybody finds any more bugs please let me knoe.

DF Veteran
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Oct 23, 2007 02:21    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I actually liked the jumping puzzles. I thought they were very challenging, but fitting.

I don't know that it's any big deal, but if you wanted to know where that "default" texture was it's in the beginning on the outer edge of the turbolift shafts (those big things in each corner that move to simulate you moving at extreme speed upward continually). It's really not noticeable. I only found it because I was looking around for the way out (I completely missed the TDs on the crate Embarassed ).

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Oct 23, 2007 17:13    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Damn! I'll get 'em next time. Thanks!

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Oct 23, 2007 17:21    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Oh and thanks Mega for your detailed analysis. Onle again I rushed out this level without properly testing it. I'm getting all the bugs now.

milo_antu
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Nov 05, 2007 18:58    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Ok, finally i was able to get DT4 playing. Very nice and suspensive. I naturally kept falling because i was trying to figure where to go. Uhh...overall I only get lost cause I cant refer back to the objectives. But they were all excellent levels, with a few minor bugs. I will review the threads shortly. And it may be too early to say this but cant wait till DT5!!! Very Happy

Nottheking
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Nov 07, 2007 05:50    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Of course. You have to release this during a month when my computers are sitting in a storage unit. Yep. Figures. Mad

But rest assured, this will be one of the things I do first after things settle down to where I can dig 'em out. I've got Dark Forces installed, and WORKING, on all of 'em. (though VDMSound is necessary to get music, though not sound, on my newest machines)

Fish
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Nov 14, 2007 09:53    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I have just played DT4 through for a second time. My general impression: a fitting fantastic sequel to the three previous ones. An instant HoF member.

Luckily, I've had the opportunity to play the level on my P1-233 abandonware gaming PC, and it was working fine - no crashes, no flickers, etc.

I really like how DT4 looks and feels. Textures are well placed and drawn, and the architecture is just stunning, especially in the last level that combines vast spaces (that are, by the way, HoM-free) with tiny but important details. I find atmosphere just as well-balanced between fight, puzzles and "sightseeing", especially in those urban areas.

I'd agree with some here that the jumping puzzles aren't too easy, but - played on a DF-friendly computer - it's all right, especially when one has a little bit of practice. Fortunately, failing to make a difficult jump usually isn't fatal.

And, an extra compliment for the plot. Witnessing the message of the Emperor, shadows of Vader that appear throughout the game and a sudden confrontation with the Dark Lord made a great dramatic effect, something DF levels, in my opinion, rarely produce effectively.

One can notice a good deal of INF programming and technical tricks; my favorite could be the moving shadows of the pillars in one of the large hallways, or a new, refined version of the reflective floors. Thumbs up for the AT-?T's throughout the level and the cute way of using a droid to open a door.

Not really any special complaints from my side, but if I'd have to name some, maybe there is one or two too much of those pesky concussion-rifle-commandos that tend to drain the life counter like an SUV does to a fuel tank.

But still, a definite 5-star level. Congratulations!

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Nov 14, 2007 14:59    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Yay! Thanks Fish. I don't know if it's up yet or not but I did email Jackson a bug-free version complete with improved, easier jumping puzzles. So for those finding it too difficult, just gimme your email address and I can send it on.

Fish
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Nov 15, 2007 13:13    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Sure, I'd like to try a new version as well if I can. Thanks!
oton.ribic (monkey) bug.hr

Jackson
Dark Trooper Phase 2

PostPosted: Nov 15, 2007 15:22    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

No file came through to me, so I'm thinking that jackson [at] df-21.net is now out of business... if you're still up for RE-re-sending it, I'm at achtungjackson [at] gmail.com. The upload page might also be worth just one more go, too.

Patrick Haslow
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Nov 16, 2007 07:39    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Methinks the site is winding down...I couldn't access it on and off yesterday. At least The Dark Tide came rolling out. I'm trying to find a cheap PII machine here for one last good go round of all The Dark Tides in order! I always played em that way each time for continuity sake.

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Nov 16, 2007 12:25    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Neither work Jackson Sad
For some reason I keep getting this stupid message when I try to sent it to your gmail address:

Reporting-MTA: dns;bay0-omc3-s20.bay0.hotmail.com
Received-From-MTA: dns;BAY142-W36
Arrival-Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 04:00:52 -0800

Final-Recipient: rfc822;achtungjackson@gmail.com
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp;552 5.7.0 Illegal Attachment c20si387910rvf

Fenwar
Admiral Ackbar
Admiral Ackbar

PostPosted: Nov 17, 2007 12:50    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I've created an FTP account on the new server dedicated to uploading files, and emailed the details to you.

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Nov 20, 2007 16:00    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Cheers Paul. I like the password by the way.

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Nov 20, 2007 16:09    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Actually the upload page seems to be working now. Just check to see if a new version of dtide4.zip has been uploaded

Fenwar
Admiral Ackbar
Admiral Ackbar

PostPosted: Nov 20, 2007 16:18    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

There it is.

Have moved it to the missions folder so downloads from the usual location will now point to the new version (note that depending on your browser settings you may need to clear your cache, or you'll just end up with the old version..)

http://df-21.net/downloads/missions/dtide4.zip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> Level Reviews All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: