DF-21 Forums Forum Index DF-21 Forums
The Dark Forces Community

DF-21.net Home | FAQ | Search | Memberlist  | Register 
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

DarkXL Update 5 - Alpha Demo 1 Release!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> DarkXL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyMan
Dianoga

PostPosted: Aug 18, 2008 01:50    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Awesome job, lucius! I made this account just to post this. I still have WDFUSE on my computer and used to make/play levels for this all the time. This makes me want to start building some giant imperial base now...

But anyways, everything ran very well. I didn't find any major bugs other than what has already been posted.

My computer has:
Windows XP Professional
AMD Athlon 2.00Ghz
1 Gig RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 6800

Again, excellent work!

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Aug 18, 2008 03:49    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Did you try the new Alpha build, found here: http://df-21.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php_t=1339?

Thanks for the comments.Smile

C. Zoui
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2008 16:51    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I am in awe of what is being done here, and I am excited to replay one of my all-time favorite games this way.

Thank you, sir, for all your stupendous efforts on this creation of yours. And thanks to the DF-21 community for all of the constructive feedback and support.

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2008 07:23    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

C. Zoui wrote:
I am in awe of what is being done here, and I am excited to replay one of my all-time favorite games this way.

Thank you, sir, for all your stupendous efforts on this creation of yours. And thanks to the DF-21 community for all of the constructive feedback and support.

Well thank you.Smile

Make sure to try the latest build if you haven't already, Build 8a.

CarlosG
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Nov 15, 2008 13:01    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

8a works well for me. Highest res for my widescreen, sound and music are all o.k. I trust that eventually you will be able to turn the music off or at least down.

Cutscenes, text crawls, mission brief, menus, map mode and that funky F9 all work well. I ended up being stuck from time to time apparently jammed in a wall or stuck on some debris but was able to jump out of it every time. Except for being wedged into one of the revolving 3do arms at the gernerator on level 2. But that was fun.

I couldn't finish level 2 cause I couldn't figure out how to get back to the landing spot. Apparently the bridge has been closed. I did wonder about the mine I couldn't pick up. Blast it I say. I don't remember how to get back across.

All in all it seems to be a faithful representation of the original. Bravo lucius!

Dell XPS 630i quadcore Q6600 2.4ghz
4gig RAM
XP SP3
Integrated Realtech HD audio
GeForce 8800 GT
Dell E248WFP monitor

sheepandshepherd
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Nov 15, 2008 18:07    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Falling through walls and subsectors like the hydro generator should be fixed in an upcoming build. If you do get stuck and can't get out, hold down G and move around to get out . . . don't worry, it's not cheating Razz

As for the bridge, did the entire sector turn black and impassible? If that's what happened, it's caused by a sector bug that lucius has fixed for the next build. Try using F to float across the water or G to pass through it - they're the two debugging "cheats" lucius implemented to help us test the levels.

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Nov 15, 2008 19:52    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

CarlosG thanks for trying it out and giving your feedback. It looks like sheepandshepherd did a good job answering your post. As for not being able to pick up a mine, they are not implemented yet but will be in near-term future build. Also it will be possible to adjust music and sound volume just like the original.

Also thanks sheepandshepherd for stepping in and responding to the post.

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Nov 15, 2008 19:59    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Also please look here for the most current build: http://df-21.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php_t=1339. It appears that this thread links back to the "Alpha Demo" version ( pre-build 8 ) and I really need to update the website. Smile

klasodeth
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Nov 16, 2008 00:28    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

CarlosG wrote:
...I couldn't finish level 2 cause I couldn't figure out how to get back to the landing spot. Apparently the bridge has been closed. I did wonder about the mine I couldn't pick up. Blast it I say. I don't remember how to get back across...

I think the problem you're having is actually some sort of INF glitch. If I recall correctly, some INF scripting is triggered when making the return trip across the bridge. If that INF is triggered prematurely, the results of the glitch lock you out. Basically, once you cross into Talay, you want to stay away from the bridge until you're ready to make the return trip. When you do, don't loiter or backtrack, just cross the bridge. Otherwise you'll need to use a dev cheat to cross.

CarlosG
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Nov 16, 2008 01:43    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Well it turns out that I AM running 8.05. I'll start using G and F, Thanks for the info.

Tsophika
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Nov 16, 2008 05:57    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure you can sprint and jump the gap across the water... but it's been a while so I could be wrong. Wink

LogicDeLuxe
Dianoga

PostPosted: Oct 05, 2009 13:01    Post subject: Re: DarkXL Update 5 - Alpha Demo 1 Release! View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

A) Did you make it through? You should get the mission complete text at the top of the screen.

No problems here.

B) How well did it ran and system specs. The engine is far from optimized, so this will get alot better. A rough guess is fine (smooth, slow, whatever).

Did not run on my Athlon XP 2600 with Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

Works perfectly smooth on my Phenom II 905e, Windows XP64, 4GB DDR3 RAM, ATI on-board graphic. Played in 1920x1080 fullscreen.

C) How did it feel? Does it feel like Dark Forces, and if not why?

What's implemented feels accurate, but without the remaining features, not exactly like Dark Forces. I wish I could disable texture filtering. It just doesn't look good with lowres textures.
The speed felt about right.

D) Any bugs not mentioned or any comments.

Twitching problems, like others already mentioned.

One clipping error at the lower switch inside the lift to the roof while the door is open. I guess, the later maps have some more problems of this kind, since the original game uses a column based portal renderer. There are some impossible situations in real life physics, which might be troublesome carrying from 2.5D to 3D.

Like in the original game, it is possible to get to the roof first and take the plans afterwards without the need to return to the roof. (Yes, it makes no sense, but it is the way the game was made.)
However, reaching the roof without the plans plays the "This is too easy"-sample, which doesn't belong there.

Elevator doors are much faster at closing then opening.

Am I supposed to have 90 shield after I die?

Is there already a way to try another mission?

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Oct 06, 2009 00:50    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Yeah this thread is 11 months old. Bye, bye, old thread!

By the way, that information isn't terribly useful since you ran an OLD build of DarkXL. From a year ago.

And I can't believe it's been a year!

And in case locking the thread doesn't make it clear... please don't post in threads that are this old. Look for a newer thread or create one.

For example, this thread is numbered, and on the first page of this forum alone there are 5 newer numbered threads. One of which is only a little over a month old.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> DarkXL News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Page 15 of 15

Jump to: