DF-21 Forums Forum Index DF-21 Forums
The Dark Forces Community

DF-21.net Home | FAQ | Search | Memberlist  | Register 
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

Guess that Level - in DarkXL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> Screenshot of the Day
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2008 15:22    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Faust is there, but it's one of those "meh" kind of levels.

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2008 18:06    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Burning Gundam wrote:
Faust is there, but it's one of those "meh" kind of levels.

It got decent ratings at "The Crow's Nest" (89%) but was not "Hall of Fame" material. But I wanted a somewhat harder level to identify - although HoF levels will be featured again it'll be nice to break them up with other levels, the HoF levels are just so easy to spot.Smile

Nottheking
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2008 19:47    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Hmm... Out of curiosity, could you perhaps give me SECBASE remake a try? Although not particularly impressive, it was very much a work of trying to press the graphics engine to its limits.

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2008 20:09    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Nottheking wrote:
Hmm... Out of curiosity, could you perhaps give me SECBASE remake a try? Although not particularly impressive, it was very much a work of trying to press the graphics engine to its limits.

I can do that. Can you post a link or tell me where to find it?

Nottheking
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2008 21:28    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

lucius wrote:
I can do that. Can you post a link or tell me where to find it?

Oh, sorry, forgot the link.

It's listed on this page, where you can find a direct download link.

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Jul 03, 2008 01:50    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Nottheking wrote:

Man it's a shame we don't have many people modding DF anymore, I would love to do another contest.

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Jul 03, 2008 02:58    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

In time I think that could change. I have some ideas that'll make modding more attractive then it is now, although I'm not saying what yet. Twisted Evil

In the meantime, I've seen in increase in interest in modding DF recently - I expect that trend to continue.Smile

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Jul 03, 2008 03:07    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

lucius wrote:
In time I think that could change. I have some ideas that'll make modding more attractive then it is now, although I'm not saying what yet. Twisted Evil

Woah, got more tricks up your sleeve Lucius!? Shocked

Well then... I shall patiently wait for the reveal.

sheepandshepherd
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Jul 03, 2008 12:13    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Ooooh Surprised my head's already filling up with ideas on what it might be.
If I get Dosbox and DF somehow working on my other computer, I'll try to finish up on my level and send it to lucius for DarkXL screenshots, but the fact that it hasn't seen much work lately (at all due to no way of testing) and that it has many non-standard elevators near the beginning will probably delay that quite a bit.

Magic_Al
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Jul 03, 2008 22:45    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

If lucius is, perchance, thinking about writing a level-editing suite, it would be a very logical compliment to DarkXL. Modern, accessible editing tools would allow DarkXL technology to be a platform not only for Dark Forces and Dark Forces mods but, with a different front end, for entirely new-from-scratch games. A modern sector-based FPS engine with accessible editing tools could appeal to hobbyists who are intimidated by or, moreso, don't have time to work in 3D. If, after the editor was done, lucius went back and added multiplayer to the DarkXL engine, Son-of-DarkXL (with no Star Wars association necessarily) could possibly earn quite a following. It could be to games what Fontstruct.com is to fonts.

This isn't meant at all as pressure to produce, I'm just speculating on some positive directions lucius's work could go, beyond a Dark Forces revival.

Armed only with a blaster pistol and an intimate knowledge of
Imperial methods, MagicAl prepares to go to lunch....

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Jul 05, 2008 20:19    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Magic_Al wrote:
If lucius is, perchance, thinking about writing a level-editing suite, it would be a very logical compliment to DarkXL. Modern, accessible editing tools would allow DarkXL technology to be a platform not only for Dark Forces and Dark Forces mods but, with a different front end, for entirely new-from-scratch games. A modern sector-based FPS engine with accessible editing tools could appeal to hobbyists who are intimidated by or, moreso, don't have time to work in 3D. If, after the editor was done, lucius went back and added multiplayer to the DarkXL engine, Son-of-DarkXL (with no Star Wars association necessarily) could possibly earn quite a following. It could be to games what Fontstruct.com is to fonts.

This isn't meant at all as pressure to produce, I'm just speculating on some positive directions lucius's work could go, beyond a Dark Forces revival.

I understand what you are saying about making DarkXL an engine for all new from-scratch games as a possible future direction. However I want to make it clear that, for a long time atleast, my focus is Dark Forces and Dark Forces mods. If people want to make other games too, well I won't complain Laughing , its just not my focus. In the future beyond that, who knows. Smile Oh and I am planning on adding multiplayer for DarkXL eventually, someone asked about that before but it was near the beginning of the project.

I guess, at this point then, it is pretty obvious what would "make modding more attractive then it is now", to quote myself. I'll provide more concrete details in the future, after this coming build.

sheepandshepherd
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2008 13:46    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

All I have to say is Shocked Shocked Shocked
You are truly amazing, lucius.

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2008 06:52    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Bring on the next level Twisted Evil

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2008 08:25    Post subject: Guess that level, #5 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Its that time again! Its been awhile, but the game continues...

Good luck! Any comments are welcome.

Geoffrey S
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2008 12:02    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Hey, cool. Custom sprites are working!

Star's End.

Magic_Al
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2008 15:01    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Star's End: The Cloak?

Armed only with a blaster pistol and an intimate knowledge of
Imperial methods, MagicAl prepares to go to lunch....

sheepandshepherd
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2008 16:05    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

The stormtroopers give it away. I don't think any other levels uses them.

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2008 17:06    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

That's correct, its Stars End: The Cloak. Good job guys!

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2008 17:26    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I KNOW I KNOW!!! IT'S STARS END!!!

...oh wait....

Dammit,I'm always last on these things.

klasodeth
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2008 18:07    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

It's Star's End!!! Did I make it in time?

There, now you're second-to-last. Razz

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2008 19:17    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Don't patronize me old skool razz

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2008 09:27    Post subject: Guess that level, #6 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Time for another level, this one is too easy...

Good luck!

Tsophika
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2008 10:27    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Jungles... of... Caldoun!

Fenwar
Admiral Ackbar
Admiral Ackbar

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2008 10:37    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

It's... Jungles of Caldoun!

Argh I was minutes too late.

Still think the jungle textures look messy (e.g. the white spots and the misaligned wall on the left in shot 2), but it's a lot easier on the eye in DarkXL.

sheepandshepherd
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2008 12:13    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Hmmm, haven't played it in a while, but where is the last screenshot from?

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2008 03:44    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I forgot to tell Fenwar and Tsophika that you are indeed correct, of course you guys knew that already.Smile I'll try a less known level next time.

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2008 07:22    Post subject: Guess that level, #7 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Its time again for another Guess that Level! This one should bring back old memories...

Good luck!

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2008 07:29    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Return to Bespin?

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2008 09:39    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Burning Gundam wrote:
Return to Bespin?

You are correct! It is Return to Bespin: Reclaiming Cloud City.

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2008 16:27    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Bwah ha ha ha! For once I am the first to guess on this Twisted Evil

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> Screenshot of the Day All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: