The Dark Forces Community

DF-21.net Home | FAQ | Search | Memberlist  | Register 
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

End of Empire - in DarkXL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Jun 27, 2008 07:18    Post subject: End of Empire - in DarkXL View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Here is another mod in progress: End of Empire by Marley. In order to encourage the increase in DF modding, I'm highlighting mods in progress by showing the works in progress rendered by DarkXL.

Just note that there are some sectors that are setup as pits and "horizon", which isn't supported yet. So some images render walls that should be sky.

Here are the screenshots:

Keep up the good work!

Marley
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Jun 27, 2008 10:33    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Thanks so much for this Lucius! Looking nice though the level is very bare and far from finished. Will post a full update as to what the project is about when I get home.

In shots 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 there is a big ugly wall that should be displaying as a sky texture (it does in original DF) Is this a known problem? I'll look at the GOB tonight to see how the flags and textures are set up - I suspect there's a work around I could do here that would enable Dark XL to handle them correctly. Could these screens be removed to avoid the project looking (slightly) more amaturish than it is? I could then send you a "fixed" version if that's ok.

Thanks again.

Marley
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Jun 27, 2008 11:38    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Actually thinking about it those walls have the "no wall draw" flag on (can't check what number that is at work) It's used in Nar Shadaar and the final space levels to simulate looking out on infinite vistas. Think that'll be the problem.

Magic_Al
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Jun 27, 2008 12:33    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

The handrail looks so smooth! DarkXL makes a huge difference on this kind of level.

Armed only with a blaster pistol and an intimate knowledge of
Imperial methods, MagicAl prepares to go to lunch....

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Jun 27, 2008 15:35    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I'm impressed, that'll give my projects a run for my money for sure. Too bad I have to leave for work in five minutes, otherwise I'd work like crazy on my project.

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Jun 27, 2008 17:41    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Marley wrote:
Actually thinking about it those walls have the "no wall draw" flag on (can't check what number that is at work) It's used in Nar Shadaar and the final space levels to simulate looking out on infinite vistas. Think that'll be the problem.

In the original post, I noted this problem:
lucius wrote:
Just note that there are some sectors that are setup as pits and "horizon", which isn't supported yet. So some images render walls that should be sky.

This appears to be the issue, its just a feature I haven't implemented yet.Smile I can remove the screenshots if you want.

Edit - I mean I can remove the screenshots that show the big wall outside, not all of them. In my opinion, they look fine as is though - especially knowing its a feature not implemented yet and not any fault on your part.

Marley
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2008 11:36    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

lucius wrote:
In the original post, I noted this problem:

Edit - I mean I can remove the screenshots that show the big wall outside, not all of them. In my opinion, they look fine as is though - especially knowing its a feature not implemented yet and not any fault on your part.

Oops, got a bit carried away by the pics that I didn't read your post properly - the shots can stay.

Geoffrey S
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2008 11:29    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Looking smart, I remember this one from a demo.

Marley
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2008 17:04    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

The level is set in the capital city of an as yet unspecified planet under Imperial Control. The Empire controls the city from a small Fortress atop a mountain overlooking the city. The Rebel attack on the second Death Star above Endor has commenced and Rebel Agents accross the Galaxy are being signalled to start rising up against Imperial Forces.

You play one such Rebel Agent, and it is your job to infiltrate the fortress and disable it's capabilities therefore allowing your comrades to overcome the Imperial Troops stationed around the city and to overthrow the Empire once and for all...

I'm not planning on anything too fancy with this level. Just trying to put together a map that recalls the spirit of infiltration and adventure that harks back to the the original levels. Don't expect any new textures, WAXes or 3DOs because I don't have the ability or time to create them. Just expect some fairly decent level design and a fun ride.

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2008 01:31    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Even for using old textures and stuff it's still coming along nicely. Keep it up Smile

sheepandshepherd
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2008 12:08    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Nice Smile I bet oringinal DF's many limitations would have ruined the awesomeness of this level's architecture . . . its a good thing we have DarkXL in progress.

Marley
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2008 12:17    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Actually it worked for the most part - a few HOMS in the outside bits with criss-cross beams but it was no more than other levels. I'm gonna wait for the DarkXL release to make the decision but I'm tempted to make this a DarkXL only project, basically if I do I'll just not take into account the limitations of the original engine. We'll see...

Fenwar
Admiral Ackbar
Admiral Ackbar

PostPosted: Jul 05, 2008 18:48    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Hey, I wonder if we'll be able to have water flowing properly under bridges now? Wink I know I tried (and failed). IIRC, Marley, you had a bit of a go at doing the same thing?

Marley
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2008 22:00    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Yeah, tried it in an early version of this map but had to sack it off - it just doesn't work... Gonna keep this pretty simple to make sure I finish it.

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2008 22:04    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Fenwar wrote:
Hey, I wonder if we'll be able to have water flowing properly under bridges now? Wink I know I tried (and failed). IIRC, Marley, you had a bit of a go at doing the same thing?

Once dual adjoins are implemented, then real bridges over flowing water will be possible and you won't need to use 3DO's either.Smile

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Jul 16, 2008 18:13    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

It's great to see custom levels in DarkXL. maybe DF isn't dead yet.

sheepandshepherd
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Jul 16, 2008 18:23    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Barry Brien wrote:
It's great to see custom levels in DarkXL. maybe DF isn't dead yet.

Of course not, lucius is slowly breathing the life back into it Laughing

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Jul 16, 2008 18:42    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Like come sort of cosmic lifeguard administering CPR to a CPU....or something.

sheepandshepherd
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Jul 16, 2008 18:47    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Or maybe he's just digging up Dark Forces' grave. Shovels, anybody? Laughing

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Jul 16, 2008 22:22    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

::Shovel's dirt off of DF's grave::

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Jul 16, 2008 22:55    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Fortunately, thanks to DF-21, its a shallow grave. Razz

Marley
Gamorrean

PostPosted: May 29, 2009 08:15    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I'm currently unemployed (and plan to stay that way for the next few months) so will have time to work on this once the DarkXL editor is released. I'm looking forward to getting back into Dark Forces editing and barring a very sunny summer in England (yeah right!) I'll have a lot of time at my computer to work on it Very Happy

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: May 29, 2009 08:25    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

This is good news! I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> Showcase All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: