DF-21 Forums Forum Index DF-21 Forums
The Dark Forces Community

DF-21.net Home | FAQ | Search | Memberlist  | Register 
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

Upon Dark XL's Completion and Editor...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> DarkXL General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2009 20:59    Post subject: Proposal deadline. View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

To get this thing moving, I think a proposal deadline might be in order. Anyone can submit a proposal until the deadline but after that we'll decide between whichever proposals have been presented (so far 2).

Right now I'm thinking the deadline will be the end of next week - Jan. 25, 2009. Anyone have any comments or questions about this?

Burning Gundam, as you see I kind of volunteered to manage this project - but mainly because it's a great idea and can help build the community. But it needs management in order to get it going and get something done. If there are any problems with this, let me know. Smile

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2009 02:44    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I don't mind you managing it. I proposed the idea and didn't really volunteer for the role, but I still can. I just had WAY too much going on last month and this month has been pure hell (Post season, closing the store I work at with a high possibility of becoming unemployed soon, and my beloved cat being put to sleep yesterday Crying or Very sad ...). Once things settle down I can provide more attention to this project.

You can manage this if you'd like, but if you're too bogged down with DXL I can at least be some kind of director or producer.

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2009 08:54    Post subject: Deadline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

The deadline for proposals is a week away. We still only have 2 proposals! If you have any ideas, please post them soon. Don't worry about whether you think it'll be popular, we'll iron that out with the poll.

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2009 18:18    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

My Proposal

Dark Forces: Tales of the Mercenary
Kyle has had a tough job destroying the Dark Troopers, eventually going on to fight his darker side and become a Jedi, and so on and so forth. But what about his little in-between jobs before and after the Dark Trooper conflict?

Plot Ideas
This leaves the most room for people to be creative, because they don't have to follow one plot and can go about their various ideas. You want Kyle to subvert a spy operation for an underground gang against another? Go for it. You want him to do a smuggling operation only for it to go horribly wrong? It's yours.

Locations
Everywhere! Starships, planets, spaceports, etc.

Lengths
Creators can make their levels in a series or as one large level. If the plot (job) they want to work with takes place in two separate areas and the only way to convey it is through 2 or 3 levels, that is fine.

Restrictions
Pretty much anything goes. But if the idea is WAY out there it may not flow well. Keep it (watch for the irony here) fairly realistic.

That being said, Im pitching a few ideas that I would do if we did it in this way.

1) Kyle is hired by a contractor to find out why their people have been getting killed at a research facility. Willing to pay handsomely... but at what cost to you?
2) While doing a basic cargo shipment to Sullust, his ship is jumped and boarded by an unknown attacker. Find out why and fend off the attack.
3) Kyle somehow gets tangled in some conflict between two rival gang factions.
4) Etc.

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2009 19:29    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Thanks Burning Gundam, we're up to 3 proposals. Smile Keep 'em coming.

Magic_Al
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2009 04:20    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

lucius wrote:
That's 2 potential proposals. Magic Al, do you want to make a proposal out of your idea? Any other ideas are welcome. Smile

It's not going to count unless I use the form? If anyone likes it feel free to develop it, it was just a thought.

Burning Gundam, I'm very sorry about your cat. I love my cat and don't like to think about that sort of thing.

Armed only with a blaster pistol and an intimate knowledge of
Imperial methods, MagicAl prepares to go to lunch....

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2009 04:55    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Magic_Al wrote:
It's not going to count unless I use the form? If anyone likes it feel free to develop it, it was just a thought.

Ok, sorry, I was just trying to organize things. We'll make it 4 proposals then. To reiterate, here is Magic Al's proposal:

Name: Jan's Story (? - please come up with a better name. Smile)

Story summary: How about an entire series where you play as Jan through a story that's interwoven with Kyle's? It could be part prequel and part side-quel to DF covering the period from Soldier for the Empire through DF from Jan's point of view. Obviously she's not sitting in the cockpit the whole time but does her own FPS-type missions between rendezvous with Kyle.

An example of how it could intersect with DF would be a level set immediately after Kyle opens Jan's prison cell on Jabba's ship. They try to leave together but trouble separates them before they get off the ship and Jan has to make her own way back to Kyle and the Crow. Another level would be a companion to DF's Ramsees Hed: Kyle has placed the tracking device but then gets trapped, and Jan has to get to him. Other levels could be completely original and Jan might even progress through two or three missions before intersecting with Kyle again.

Done right it would add a layer to the DF story that you'd think about even while playing original DF missions, sort of like how you can't help but think of the prequel movies during parts of the original trilogy.

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2009 20:11    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Magic_Al wrote:
Burning Gundam, I'm very sorry about your cat. I love my cat and don't like to think about that sort of thing.

Thanks. I knew it was coming soon (She was 19 years old) so it's not like it was a surprise. She was getting dimensia, lost a lot of weight, soiled inappropriately, pretty much all the fun stuff of aging. But it didn't really make the decision any easier for me. Fortunately I wasn't there when it happened, I may not have been able to handle it as well as I have been.

Sorry to de-rail the topic for a moment...

I just want to make an additional note to my proposal. Since Kyle's conversion from an imperial officer to a mercenary could be considered a job more or less, that can be added as well. I don't see how it could spread out too far so that can probably work with everything else. I like to think of my idea as Kyle reflecting on his past experiences.

Taton
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2009 04:51    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Dark Forces: Operation Aftermath
After stopping the Dark Trooper Project with the destruction of the Arc Hammer, Kyle works with the Rebel Alliance to create an elite guerilla unit. The unit's first mission is to investigate and neutralize any remaining infrastructure
related to Project Dark Trooper.

Plot Ideas
As they investigate and neutralize various outposts, a plot by General Mohc to challenge the Empire comes to light,maybe tying in with Admiral Zaarin's Rebellion from Tie Fighter game (both Mohc and Zaarin were working on developing advanced technologies, so there's good chance they could have been in collusion with each other).

Locations
The Galaxy. I have running through my head High Altitude Orbital Insertions, sabatoging a Grav Train carrying Dark Troopers, EVA infiltrations, Automated Factories, Tie Fighter Factories (If the whole Zaarin idea was integrated)

Lengths
I think length of levels would vary slightly. I think some levels could be run and gun excitment, blasting enemies while setting explosives to demolish the place. Other missions would be slower, having to rely on teammates to neutralize defenses, or giving you covering fire.

Restrictions
I think the idea here is to smash any restrictions left. We've worked on Dark Forces filled with restrictions, be it limited Logics or HOMs. My proposal for a story includes instances of intense visuals, complex INF sequences,
and custom Logics.

Notes
Its fairly Obvious that the Guerilla Unit refers to the famed Katarn Commandos. What little is written about them seems to indicate that they were formed shortly after the Dark Trooper Incident. Beyond Glory II did a good job of conveying a team working to tackle a target, but I think we could do so much more with DarkXL. I also think that having some kind of team makes a good nesting ground for storytelling. One of Dark Forces strengths is that pretty much all of its level have a story to tell in a thought out Universe. I think we should focus on this strength on the project.

Last edited by Taton on Jan 22, 2009 04:11; edited 1 time in total

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2009 07:45    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Excellent idea, Taton. 5 proposals! Keep the ideas coming.

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2009 22:07    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Okay guys, deadline's up. Please vote on the ideas in this thread.

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2009 22:13    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Thanks Burning Gundam, this temporarily slipped my mind. Smile

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2009 22:17    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I made the poll a sticky until it is completed. We should probably run the poll for several days - perhaps until Friday.

Last edited by lucius on Jan 26, 2009 22:28; edited 1 time in total

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2009 22:21    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Thanks, man Smile

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> DarkXL General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: