DF-21 Forums Forum Index DF-21 Forums
The Dark Forces Community

DF-21.net Home | FAQ | Search | Memberlist  | Register 
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

Opening old wounds; Mattias Weilander
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2009 20:42    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

The forum was probably rebooted shortly before we all re-signed up :p

Lionel Fouillen
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2009 22:54    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Exactly, the site engine (and maybe design as well) changed, hence we all had to resign up.

Ghost Returns
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2009 07:27    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I can't recall when I first signed up for this site. I think it was about the time Hoerby came out with this trilogy. I kept trying to retrieve my old accounts a few years back, but they'd been inactive too long.

Good to see this site is still up.

Lionel Fouillen
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2009 19:12    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I first signed up in 1995 on a site called Ackbar's Homepage. That was the DF reference site back then. Then it disappeared but the community turned towards 2 new great sites: one from a webmaster named Geoffrey Elliott and another one called The Code Alliance. All this vanished as well.

I forgot exactly where DF-21 comes from. Isn't it the reviewed version of something else?

Taton
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2009 19:36    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

If I recall correctly, the original site was called DF99. Scapey would know for sure.

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2009 21:41    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I was under the impression it was the Crows Nest or something.

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2009 21:51    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Crows Nest was a different site that disappeared one day IIRC.

Lionel Fouillen
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2009 22:12    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Burning Gundam wrote:
I was under the impression it was the Crows Nest or something.

That's it !!! It was really great.

Ghost Returns
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2009 23:37    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Yeah, it was Ackbar's homepage that had all the WAX and LFD files posted, along with all the levels.

I must've spent an aggregate of a couple weeks DLing levels from that site with my old 33.6kbps dial up. Wink

Jackson
Dark Trooper Phase 2

PostPosted: Feb 09, 2009 00:46    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Taton wrote:
If I recall correctly, the original site was called DF99. Scapey would know for sure.

Yep, that'd be it!
Crow's Nest was a separate site which Matt H went to great lengths to archive for us: df-21.net/reviews/crowsnest

And since I haven't had the chance to say it already, welcome back, Ghost! I remember you posting WAY back when. (I may've even been "Jedi Jackson" at the time!)

Ghost Returns
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Feb 09, 2009 09:53    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Heya Jackson. Yes, your name does ring a few bells. Wink My how the years have flown by.

My first encounter with DF addons was... oh, let's see here... maybe close to a year after the game came out. That's when I got my latest edition of PCGamer, and there were a couple of Jason Burton's levels on the demo CD.

Then the DF community got up in arms about PC Gamer publishing their levels, and that's when I signed onto AOL and joined the DF community there circa late 1995 or 1996. I then moved to a different ISP when AOL was having their big meltdown. That's when I started to really explore the net, and that's about the time Ackbar's site went up.

That's when I discovered loads of user made levels. Some favorites; "Ties that Bind", "Lahara Hotel", "DF96", "Return to Hoth", "The Great Tatooine Water Hunt", and plenty others.

It feels good to be back. I won't post here like I did in the past, but will drop in on occasion.

I'm really looking forward to replaying all those levels with free look and accelerated graphics. Go Lucius. Very Happy

Emambu
Dianoga

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2009 05:46    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Quote:
Mattias on the other hand...

People like him are the reason I'll never trust anyone from Norway! Razz But I do kinda remember you, as well as the drama surrounding Dark3D. You sure pick interesting topics to get us all reminiscing.

Quote:
Anyway, it's good to see this place still exists and there are still some familiar names floating about. I've been meaning to come back and check for a couple years now, but (shockingly) never seemed to get around to it. If that doesn't remind you who I am, nothing will.

The more things change, right Scape Goat? And I say that like I'm some staple on these forums, so I guess coming from me it should mean absolutely nothing. Wink Still, good to see old schoolers checking in now and again, agreed. I eagerly await your reply to this message sometime in 2011.

Quote:
Scapegoat, now that's a name I haven't heard in a long long time. Your Ari G.'s second cousin right? Twice removed of course.

I always thought he Steve Buscemi's long lost brother...

Quote:
I first signed up in 1995 on a site called Ackbar's Homepage. That was the DF reference site back then. Then it disappeared but the community turned towards 2 new great sites: one from a webmaster named Geoffrey Elliott and another one called The Code Alliance. All this vanished as well.

Yep, Ackbar's Homepage was my first regular site in the DF community too. I think it was for a lot of people. Just like my first DF addon levels were some of Don Sielke's old ones, like Escape from Secbase II which I think was coded through a text editor. Definitely well before Yves Borckmans. I also frequented Tola Dalton's DF site a lot later on, since it was an accumulation of every addon released at the time. Anyone remember that site?

Oh, and hi to you all. In case you don't remember, or never went to the site, former reviewer from TACC here, putting in his two interested cents for DarkXL also. Saw the screens, read the description. I am very interested to see what comes of it. I still play DF from time to time, so I've always harbored a hope of seeing a game I recall so fondly get a well deserved face lift.

---Emambu

Ghost Returns
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2009 22:51    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Yeah, I know how to pick em Wink

One of my favorite DF level authors/makers was Tim Smulders. I think he made "Return to Hoth" or "Icebase". It was a snow level that had lots of interesting custom textures. He also made an insanely difficult level for his personal use which he posted on his website (another DF site that's evaporated). Another fav Smile

Scape Goat
Dark Trooper Phase 2

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2009 17:07    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Quote:
The more things change, right Scape Goat? And I say that like I'm some staple on these forums, so I guess coming from me it should mean absolutely nothing. Wink Still, good to see old schoolers checking in now and again, agreed. I eagerly await your reply to this message sometime in 2011.

I cannot express how deeply these words wound me. I'll have to think about it and get right back to you.

Quote:

Holy crud! I completely forgot about DF1999 (indeed the precursor to DF-21 which lasted from the magical year of 1999 all the way to 1999). Interest in Dark Forces was fading fast at that time, and we thought an actively updated site might help revive it. I suppose it succeeded as much as could have been realistically hoped for.

Lionel Fouillen
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2009 20:43    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

It's incredible that we are still here. The game was released in 1994, right? I hope this site and community never disappear...

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2009 07:20    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

This seems to be the hot topic these days, and the similarities are so striking that I just have to post this.

Stephen Fowler

English version of Mattias Wellander.

I don't care too much for reality TV, but after hearing about this guy I watched a YouTube link posted midway that was of last week's episode of Wife Swap. I noticed the same bashing and elitist attitude that Mattias had. Sad to know that people like that actually exist.

But I have to be fair. A lot of what this guy put this poor woman through is probably much worse than what Mattias put some of us through.

Lionel Fouillen
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2009 08:00    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

We should make a new add-on level for DF. Mission title: "Opening old wounds". Who could create a WAX file of Mattias? Which logic do you think would be best assigned to it ?

Ghost Returns
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2009 09:06    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Heh, well, his photo's still on his ICQ page for anyone so inclined... Wink

And I'm breaking my promise not to post on this topic again Razz

I'm still baffled by his "American is Evil, but I love your movies and culture" thing. I just can't get over that. Confused

Weregoose
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2009 16:33    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Lionel Fouillen wrote:
It's incredible that we are still here. The game was released in 1994, right? I hope this site and community never disappear...

Nostalgia this, remembrance that... Never did I feel that the scene was so alive as when I got involved in making my first DF level mid last year. Perhaps we should allow this Mattias Wellander's stirring of old emotions to be the unwitting factor that prompts a real return to Dark Forces; such a thing might overall be his greatest contribution to the community.

There's still work to be done: We don't thrive on the community, but the community thrives on us, so I'm gonna work on that wiki a bit more.

Matt K
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2009 13:46    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

We're having a reunion and no one told me?

Shame on you guys.

I wasted a lot of typing on Mattias. Even took his side (once, I think, and I might have been on painkillers at the time). But ohhhhh man. Once Bush got elected, that fella went off the deep end.

I remember when he was just a quirky European we all tolerated because of Dark3D...

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2009 14:31    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

It's just a matter of time before we see who else shows up. Welcome back Matt K Smile

Lionel Fouillen
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2009 15:44    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Burning Gundam wrote:
It's just a matter of time before we see who else shows up.

Maybe Mattias...

klasodeth
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Feb 19, 2009 03:32    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Lionel Fouillen wrote:
Maybe Mattias...

Maybe. But at least this time people can afford to slam the door in his face.

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Feb 19, 2009 05:50    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Lionel Fouillen wrote:
Burning Gundam wrote:
It's just a matter of time before we see who else shows up.

Maybe Mattias...

You know in a weird way, that would be extremely hilarious.

Lionel Fouillen
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Feb 19, 2009 12:07    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

klasodeth wrote:
But at least this time people can afford to slam the door in his face.

Let's propose him to be moderator of the forums Twisted Evil

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Feb 19, 2009 14:26    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Lionel Fouillen wrote:
klasodeth wrote:
But at least this time people can afford to slam the door in his face.

Let's propose him to be moderator of the forums Twisted Evil

Naw, he'd ban all the americans....

Void
Dianoga

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2009 09:44    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Wow...good times. I'm actually the author of the post quoted in the first post of this thread. I used to go by the screen name Void ZoSo here, and went through a lot of aliases on Massassi (...kept getting banned for some reason...). I actually just dropped by to look for how to install Dark Forces under Windows XP and found this thread. I forgot how balls-out insane Mattias was.

Lionel Fouillen
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2009 10:28    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Void wrote:
Wow...good times. I'm actually

That rings a bell. Weren't you known as Void_Dragon or something as well in the past? And weren't you the webmaster of a DF site as well?

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2009 14:55    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Void wrote:
kept getting banned for some reason

Rolling Eyes

Void
Dianoga

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2009 19:57    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Lionel Fouillen wrote:
Void wrote:
Wow...good times. I'm actually

That rings a bell. Weren't you known as Void_Dragon or something as well in the past? And weren't you the webmaster of a DF site as well?

Many, many moons ago, yes. I haven't dusted off DF in quite awhile...actually, it's been a long time since I did any real gaming (with the exception of Fallout 3, which I just had to pick up). Maybe I'll have to dig out DF to try this new "Dark3D minus the crazy plus the actually existing" thing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: