DF-21 Forums Forum Index DF-21 Forums
The Dark Forces Community

DF-21.net Home | FAQ | Search | Memberlist  | Register 
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

Reticle Images for DarkXL
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> DarkXL General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Mar 18, 2009 08:13    Post subject: Reticle Images for DarkXL View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

There is some interest to adding optional aiming reticles to the next build. The catch is that you guys need to submit some reticles, I'll then take the best versions and allow the user to select among them in the next build. Eventually custom reticles will be supported - but not in the next build. Below is the information you need for your submissions.

32x32 should be a good size. Just make sure that the outer pixel is transparent (a transparent border). I'll then combine all the reticle images into one texture. Remember that your reticle can appear smaller then 32x32 on screen, just center it in the 32x32 area and make the unused pixels transparent. You can either make the transparent color black and I'll edit it, or make a tga or png with an alpha channel and make the transparent areas have black alpha and everything else have white alpha. They will be alpha blended, so if the alpha has a gradient you can get anti-aliased edges or have translucent parts (i.e. its blended with the background instead of overwritting it). The reticles can be whatever color you want, just make sure it stands out enough - it will be true color so no need to worry about palettes.

Gez
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Mar 19, 2009 10:07    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Rather than color, couldn't they all be desaturated instead and have a hue applied to them chosen by the player? Or even, like in ZDoom, dependent on health (100% or more bright green, 1% bright red, and a smooth hue shift from green to red between both)...

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Mar 19, 2009 20:42    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

That's not a bad idea. I can do the first one (where the player tints the reticle), however I'm not sure about the second idea. We have shields and health, so you're already looking down to see your state in the one that the reticle doesn't show you. And besides, I want to keep this simple right now - we can add fancier reticles later.

So what do you guys think? Do you guys want to color the reticle or make it desaturated and have the player pick from a palette of colors?

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Mar 19, 2009 21:15    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Health is more important than shields. Quake Live has a similar crosshair hue-shifting for health.

Tsophika
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Mar 19, 2009 22:23    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Isn't this more of an extended feature? I guess I wouldn't have made crosshair variants a priority.

But since we're on the topic, maybe a select few colors to choose from would be cool...

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Mar 19, 2009 23:20    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Tsophika wrote:
Isn't this more of an extended feature? I guess I wouldn't have made crosshair variants a priority.

But since we're on the topic, maybe a select few colors to choose from would be cool...

I just wanted to get some simple reticles in for people that have trouble aiming at high resolutions. This is just going to be a basic initial implementation which is why I'm not going to implement extra features such reticles that change based on health or reticles that show the weapon spread at the current distance or anything like that until later.

Right now it'll just be a small list of optional reticles and maybe a palette of colors to tint them. Very basic for now.

Emon
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Mar 20, 2009 05:35    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Here are the ones I've made. Pretty much standard variants. They're 32x32, 32-bit PNGs. You can download them here.

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Mar 20, 2009 08:08    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I like the triangular one the best. Gives it that cool techy feel that seems appropriate for the game.

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Mar 20, 2009 09:08    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

They look good, thanks. If someone wants to add more then that'd be cool. If not then this will be enough to start with.

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Mar 20, 2009 14:58    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

No + shapes? Insulting!

I POSSIBLY GIMPED THESE OFF OF SOMEONE ELSE'S

The +s might stand to be a little thinner but I suck at this. Sad

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Mar 20, 2009 17:25    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Thanks The_Mega_ZZTer. Is there anyway you can make the last 3 as thin as the first one? Like you said I think they're a little too thick.

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Mar 20, 2009 17:32    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Made these myself this time.

GreggD
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Mar 23, 2009 02:49    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I'm sorry I didn't bring anything to the table, guys. I really like the ones supplied, though.

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Mar 23, 2009 03:19    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Perhaps it wouldn't seem to be out of the question to have different reticules for each different weapon. The only one I could think of that would be hard to do a practical one for would be the concussion rifle.

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Mar 23, 2009 03:27    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Burning Gundam wrote:
Perhaps it wouldn't seem to be out of the question to have different reticules for each different weapon. The only one I could think of that would be hard to do a practical one for would be the concussion rifle.

Not out of the question, but also not in the next build. Smile

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Mar 23, 2009 17:14    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

lucius wrote:
Burning Gundam wrote:

Not out of the question, but also not in the next build. Smile

I figured as much Smile

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Mar 23, 2009 17:29    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I'll be more specific about future reticle/weapon plans and why things like Burning Gundam's idea has to wait until later:

I'm planning on adding weapon scripts at some point, using the scripting system that DarkXL already has. You'll be able to specify things like the graphics used, default reticle, weapon movement, projectile graphics and damage, sounds, etc. So if I implemented support for reticles for each weapon now then I'd have to implement it again for the script system. At that point I'll have the UI be dynamically populated with these weapons - based on whatever mods you have loaded - and allow you to change the default reticle for each one individually. However if you stick with the default reticle, then the weapon scripts can do things like animate the reticle, change its size based on spread, change color based on lock, etc.

Emon
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2009 22:03    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Burning Gundam wrote:
Perhaps it wouldn't seem to be out of the question to have different reticules for each different weapon.

feature creeeeeeeeep!

klasodeth
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Mar 25, 2009 07:34    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Emon wrote:
Burning Gundam wrote:
Perhaps it wouldn't seem to be out of the question to have different reticules for each different weapon.

feature creeeeeeeeep!

Technically, the way lucius plans to implement them, it's not feature creep. Smile

GreggD
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Mar 25, 2009 14:43    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

klasodeth wrote:
Emon wrote:
Burning Gundam wrote:

feature creeeeeeeeep!

Technically, the way lucius plans to implement them, it's not feature creep. Smile

Also, technically, this whole thread is my fault. Razz

zero.prophet
Dianoga

PostPosted: Mar 25, 2009 19:31    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I hope I haven't arrived too late.

Different, but possibly useful?

It may nor may not show up correctly, depending on browser, but it's alpha-PNG. Also supposed to fit in a 32x32 box, but PSP7 trimmed off the edges for whatever reason.

I do hope this helps.

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Mar 25, 2009 20:45    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Thanks for the submission, I'll comment on it more when I can see it properly with a different computer (it doesn't show up right with this computer and browser but I'm not at home right now). And its definitely not too late. Smile

C. Zoui
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2009 03:16    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Burning Gundam wrote:

lucius wrote:
... reticle/weapon plans ...

You'll be able to specify things like the graphics used, default reticle, weapon movement, projectile graphics and damage, sounds, etc. ... stick with the default reticle, then the weapon scripts can do things like animate the reticle, change its size based on spread, change color based on lock, etc.

I'm firmly in the So Long As It's Just An Option camp with reticles and/or modifications to the weapon aiming system (beyond full mouselook). IMO, part of the fun of shooting a weapon like the Conc was that you weren't *entirely* sure where it was going, especially as distance increased. If firing the Bryar was like dustin' crops, then firing the Conc was like what dustin' crops ain't like. I liked it that way.

GreggD
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2009 03:54    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

C. Zoui wrote:
Burning Gundam wrote:

lucius wrote:
... reticle/weapon plans ...

You'll be able to specify things like the graphics used, default reticle, weapon movement, projectile graphics and damage, sounds, etc. ... stick with the default reticle, then the weapon scripts can do things like animate the reticle, change its size based on spread, change color based on lock, etc.

I'm firmly in the So Long As It's Just An Option camp with reticles and/or modifications to the weapon aiming system (beyond full mouselook). IMO, part of the fun of shooting a weapon like the Conc was that you weren't *entirely* sure where it was going, especially as distance increased. If firing the Bryar was like dustin' crops, then firing the Conc was like what dustin' crops ain't like. I liked it that way.

Dude, you just blew my mind with that metaphor.

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2009 14:52    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

All extended features will be optional. This includes reticles and any additional aiming changes. Eventually even mouse look will be optional. Smile

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2009 00:50    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I realized I forgot to reply about your reticle, zero.prophet. Anyway it does look different but it seems pretty good - I'll gladly include it Smile

Gez
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Apr 01, 2009 00:53    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I just made some reticles. Two are inspired by some from ZDoom (but they're not the same, I made them from scratch):

Two others are inspired by real reticles:

Two are boxlike just for the sake of being different:

Two are based on mysterious designs that I'm sure nobody will identify Razz :

(The Empire one could really be used as a reticle. The Alliance one, not so much, but if I made the one I had to make the other...)

I hope you'll like them.

darktrooper27
Dianoga

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2009 03:48    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Some of those reticules are pretty awesome. What program are you guys using to make them? I'm assuming paint.

Gez
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2009 07:05    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

darktrooper27 wrote:
Some of those reticules are pretty awesome. What program are you guys using to make them? I'm assuming paint.

Paint is unable to make pictures with transparency. In my case, it was the GIMP. Paint.NET and Photoshop are popular as well.

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2009 18:42    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

GIMP is what I used, those other two programs are good ones too (Photoshop isn't free like the other two though).

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> DarkXL General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: