DF-21 Forums Forum Index DF-21 Forums
The Dark Forces Community

DF-21.net Home | FAQ | Search | Memberlist  | Register 
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

DarkXL Manual, Part Deux

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> DarkXL General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BD Hopkins
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Apr 19, 2009 00:32    Post subject: DarkXL Manual, Part Deux View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Most Recent Updates First

Update 3
Update 2
Update 1 (see below in this post)
------------------------------------------

I'm continuing this project under a new name. Below is the new cover for the Dark Forces section of the DarkXL manual:

http://www.ephemeral.ws/images/df/1_2again.pdf

I started over at 96 PPI, up from 72 to provide more detail (PDFs can be viewed outside the web). I made a universal paper texture for the manual's background that I think turned out well. I'd say I'm about 80% pleased with the Dark Forces logo. The red marking on the right is supposed to be a top-secret stamp of sorts; it's based on the phoenix-like prototype of the Rebel Alliance logo that is featured on the Dark Forces PDA cover seen here. I wanted it to be more recognizable as the precursor to official movie version of the logo. It could still use some tweaking.

I can't say I'm pleased with the artifacting from the jpeg compression. I'm also not thrilled that the manual cover doesn't look good a past 100% view. It is only 143 KB, though.

Finally, I should note that I have no formal training or professional experience in graphic design. As such, I'm not necessarily the best person for this task; I just wanted to help out on this exciting project. I won't be offended if anyone offers any alternative designs, or if designs were put to a vote. DarkXL deserves the best support it can get.

Last edited by BD Hopkins on Jul 19, 2009 19:44; edited 2 times in total

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Apr 19, 2009 02:46    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Details details... Razz

Still looks good though.

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Apr 19, 2009 06:35    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Looks good so far. Thanks for the support. Smile

darktrooper27
Dianoga

PostPosted: Apr 19, 2009 08:56    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Yeah, It's looking really good. My favorite part is the red phoenix logo part. I think if anything should be added, it should be like a faint picture or design in the background to make it more eye pleasing.

Maybe like something related to military communications, aurabesh, or carbon scorch marks. Besides that though it's lookin awesome.

BD Hopkins
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: May 11, 2009 17:55    Post subject: Update 2 View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Update 2

Here is the new cover for the DF section of the DarkXL manual.

It's all been redone from scratch- again. All elements have been repositioned and relatively resized. I added Aurebesh to the stamp and a separate background for the DF logo.

I switched from a raster-based program (Photoshop) to a vector-based program (Illustrator) to do the majority of the design. Unlike the pixel bitmaps of raster graphics that assign a fixed value to each pixel, vector graphics are essentially a series of equations that produce shapes in the form of points, lines, and fills. That is my limited understanding, anyways, as this is my first time working with vectors and using Illustrator.

The significance of this switch is that the new vector graphics should basically appear the same regardless of the desktop resolution they are being viewed at. Zoom in and see for yourself!

The one font which has been embedded (embedding significantly decreases file size) is TrueType, so Windows may be required to view the PDF properly. There many be an OpenType version of Harding, the font in question, but because DarkXL is a Windows program, I don't see the point in using it.

As always, reasonable suggestions and comments are welcome.

BD Hopkins
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2009 19:38    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Update 3

Another update, another direction for the manual. Things are coming along. Here is a teaser:

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2009 19:54    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Looks interesting so far. Smile

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> DarkXL General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: