DF-21 Forums Forum Index DF-21 Forums
The Dark Forces Community

DF-21.net Home | FAQ | Search | Memberlist  | Register 
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

Linux, Opengl(es) and portability

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> Feature Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PIckle
Dianoga

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2009 13:49    Post subject: Linux, Opengl(es) and portability View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Hello everyone, just stumbled across this project and wow, didnt expect it to be this far and look so nice.

Ive done my research and lucius has stated a linux version would be supported at some point. Cool.
That means opengl would need to be added, I believe the current windows versions use directx?

My proposal to lucius is to consider supporting opengl es to some degree. More and more devices are beginning to include some form of gpu video acceleration. One such platform ive played with is the omap3. This includes 1.1/2.0 ogles support. The new iphone has the same soc.
The ideal solution would be to use version 2.0, it would provide the most portable solution across dektop and mobile systems.
Im not suggesting you support all features with es, but enough to have the basics to run the program.

My hope is by starting the dialog now hopefully before opengl is added this solution might be considered. (Im only suggesting this be done for the engine, not the editor)

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2009 20:49    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

That'll probably come after the beta is released. I'd refer to the FAQ for further details on this matter.

PIckle
Dianoga

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2009 21:05    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

The faq just says linux nothing about opengl
(although i missed the part about a 2.5d renderer for the DS, that would be very useful to other non-accelerated mobile platforms, if done in a linux compatible way)

The purpose I have is just to bring it up before the actual implementation for opengl is done. Its much easier to do things with portability in mind then trying to hack it later.

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2009 22:06    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I haven't done a lot of research on OpenGL ES - but I'll look into it when I port to OpenGL. As you said it would probably be missing some extended features or whatever but still run the base game.

PIckle
Dianoga

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2009 02:43    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Thanks! Thats all I needed to read.
I dont consider myself yet an expert on es, but from what ive seen to me it appears 2.X is closer then 1.X between desktop and es. So i think might be more ideal to use 2.X rather 1.X.

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2009 08:03    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

PIckle wrote:
The faq just says linux nothing about opengl
(although i missed the part about a 2.5d renderer for the DS, that would be very useful to other non-accelerated mobile platforms, if done in a linux compatible way)

Oops, yeah it was really late when I wrote that and didn't bother to look at the FAQ for confirmation. My bad Confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> Feature Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: