DF-21 Forums Forum Index DF-21 Forums
The Dark Forces Community

DF-21.net Home | FAQ | Search | Memberlist  | Register 
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

Dosbox help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> Dark Forces Levels & Editing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2009 01:11    Post subject: Dosbox help View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I was playing through Dark Tide 4 on my laptop looking for bugs. For some reason the walker in level 3 behaves rather oddly, and sometimes won't work properly. Some of the inf commands are not going through it would seem, or not going through when they should. Anyway I was using dosbox 0.72, so I downloaded 0.73 and now none of the levels will run at all. I'm getting that ancient 'out of memory' error. Help!

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2009 01:25    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I reinstalled DosBox 0.72 but I am still getting the same error message. So annoying.

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2009 01:33    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Did you set the memsize to 63 in the DosBox config file? (memsize=63 I think).

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2009 01:47    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Thanks champ Smile Dosbox 0.72 is working again.
For some reason 0.73 doesnt come with a configuration file, so I don't know how to adjust the settings. Hopefully I can get the AT-ST to work properly again.

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2009 01:50    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Perfect, thanks Lucius. As a matter of interst, has anybody ever had troubles with the AT ST at the begining of level 3?

sheepandshepherd
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2009 02:00    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Mmmm . . . I remember it stuttered, but nothing game-breaking ever.

Weregoose
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2009 03:55    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Barry Brien wrote:
For some reason 0.73 doesnt come with a configuration file, so I don't know how to adjust the settings.

Z:\>config -writeconf namehere.ext

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2009 04:35    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Using the config file from 0.72 will work fine as well.

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2009 07:33    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Will it? I had to downgrade to 0.72 for that very reason. it seemed a couple of the hardcore mods had issues working with 0.73, like Assassination on Nar Shaddaa. But when I played it in 0.72 it worked flawlessly.

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2009 13:53    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Burning Gundam wrote:
Will it? I had to downgrade to 0.72 for that very reason. it seemed a couple of the hardcore mods had issues working with 0.73, like Assassination on Nar Shaddaa. But when I played it in 0.72 it worked flawlessly.

Didn't crash? Smile

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2009 15:24    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Not once.

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2009 16:38    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

That's what I like to hear.

Lionel Fouillen
Gamorrean

PostPosted: May 30, 2010 16:24    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Where the hell can you find on a Mac the configurationm file of DosBox? I'd like to set the display resolution to 800x600 pixels and the memory value to 63 as advised on this forum to avoid potential DT3 (and other big levels) crash.
Thanks in advance Wink

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: May 31, 2010 04:45    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

On Windows its in the application folder. Check there. If not, try your user profile folder?

Matt H
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: May 31, 2010 05:07    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I found my Mac/DOSBox config file, but I had a really tough time doing it. It's named "DOSBox 0.74 Preferences" and I found it in username/Library/Preferences/ .

In fact, the Dosbox wiki says "It can be found (and modified) at ~/Library/Preferences/DOSBox 0.73 Preferences, where ~/ is your user profile folder (usually /Macintosh HD/Users/username/). The exact folder name in the Finder may vary, depending on the language you use for OS X. " But I swear I couldn't find it in there when I first looked. I'm not sure what got it to show up... You might want to look while Dosbox is running.

The good news is that memsize=63 will let it run DT3 and DT4. Smile

Lionel Fouillen
Gamorrean

PostPosted: May 31, 2010 11:36    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Thanks Matt. I now have a rendering which fills the screen much better, although not entirely. There is however still one problem: I would like to stretch the image vertically a little bit. The original 320x200 resolution actually looks better when simulating a 320x240 perspective.

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: May 31, 2010 16:45    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

There should be a way to chnge it in that same config file if I remember correctly.

Lionel Fouillen
Gamorrean

PostPosted: May 31, 2010 20:42    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Yes there are indeed options but they dont seem to work. Actually, in my case, if the game frame could remain as wide as it is now, but just taller (just a bit stretched so as to render good proportions), it would interestingly fill the whole height of my monitor. But when I specify higher values, it seems that it can't handle it and sends me back tot he original small frame... I'll try again, I might end up getting something.

Lionel Fouillen
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2010 13:31    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Well, I found it. Might be useful for others:

in the [sdl] section, set "fullscreen=true"
AND
in the [render] section, set "aspect=true"
(that's the one I didn't get right the first time, I was trying to force the ratio by specifying pixel resolution in the [sdl] section instead)

But there was also a problem with my MacBook Pro which could not render correctly the native resolution of my external monitor since the MacOS 10.6.3 update (and 10.6.4 released two days ago does not fix this well-known issue). I just reinstalled everything in 10.6.2 this morning.

Patrick Haslow
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2010 17:50    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

You guys on the Mac should use Boxer: http://boxer.washboardabs.net/. Its less hassle.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> Dark Forces Levels & Editing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: