DF-21 Forums Forum Index DF-21 Forums
The Dark Forces Community

DF-21.net Home | FAQ | Search | Memberlist  | Register 
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

Anybody want a 3do tutorial?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> Dark Forces Levels & Editing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Sep 05, 2009 17:12    Post subject: Anybody want a 3do tutorial? View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I found a tutorial I wrote about 6 years ago. I can't remember if I ever made it available or not. It doesn't seem to be on the site however. Should I upload it, would there be any interest?

Tsophika
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Sep 05, 2009 17:28    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I would definitely read it. Smile

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Sep 05, 2009 17:36    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Good stuff. I'll just do a quick bit of editing and I'll post it.

sheepandshepherd
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Sep 06, 2009 00:06    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I'm gonna need it lol

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2009 23:35    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

So how 'bout that tutorial Barry? Wink

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2009 23:47    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Unfortunately I killed my laptop with a glass of wine last week. All my DF stuff is gone. I suppose I could write it again from scratch, but I wasn't planning on it to be honest.

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2009 02:21    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

You do know you can probably pop out the drive and hook it up to another computer, right? Those things are generally enclosed and sealed.

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2009 02:56    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Yes I do. I bought an enclosure yesterday but it doesn't seem to work. I'm getting a docking station during the week so hopefully that might make it work, but i'm not holding my breath. Also I have pretty much no money at the moment. Ireland is in a pretty bad mess at the moment economy-wise, and my work hours have been cut to 12 1/2 a week. Hence the drinking wine at home and not in a pub, hence the broken laptop.

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2009 03:36    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Bummer dude. Hope everything works out for ya.

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2009 19:00    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Thanks man Smile I'll try get stared on a rewrite soon.

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2009 16:21    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Well I tried the enclosure again, just out of desperation. Lo and behold it's working. So I'll hopefully have that 3do tutorial very soon.

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2009 16:49    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Well it was working. Now I have a problem. The hard drive was partitioned - C: was all the regular data and computer stuff while D: was for recovery, i.e. it contained all the data to do a system restore. The first time I plugged in the hard drive to my housemates computer it gave me all the C: data, which is what I want. But I tried it on my work computer and gave me only the recovery data (DSmile. Is there a way to undo the partition so that I can have just one hard drive going? As I plan on using my work computer for doing DF editing for the time being.

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2009 16:55    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

obviously that smiley is actually meant as a colon and a right bracket. I am not one bit happy.

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2009 17:23    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

If you have an external drive I would move everything onto it with your friend's computer then reformat the entire drive. I'm hardly a computer expert when it comes to Windows so that may be a bad option, but that's all I can think of. I had something go wonky with my G4 mac back in the day where it wouldn't read the OS so I had to take the drive out and put it in my dad's computer and retrieve what I could from it, reformat, and reinstall EVERYTHING. If I hadn't had my external drive that I backup stuff onto, it could have been much worse.

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2009 00:25    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Microsoft decided one partition is enough for external drives thus if you have multiple ones it won't work. There's hacks which involve replacing the drivers for the drive with hard disk drivers so Windows sees it as a real hard drive and mounts all partitions.

But, this should only affect usb thumb drives and the like, REAL hard drives should still mount all partitions?

Check Drive Management by right clicking Computer and clicking Manage then going to Drive Management. Find your drive in the bottom pane. If it doesn't correctly display two partitions with the correct file systems don't screw around with it as you're likely to lose data. If it does right click on the partition that's not showing in Windows and click Assign Drive Letter and you can mount it.

If you still can't access it, download and burn a Linux Live CD (I recommend Ubuntu) and boot from it, you may have better success.

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Oct 05, 2009 23:47    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Ok it's more or less finished. I added a new chapter about how to use WDFUSE to help construct 3dos. Before I release this I'd like to have somebody proof-read it. Preferably somebody with little 3do knowledge, as I want to know if it's easy to understand or not. Any takers?

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Oct 06, 2009 09:07    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I'll do it.

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Oct 06, 2009 15:40    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Nice one. Gimme your email and I'll send it on to you later today. No rush on getting b

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Oct 06, 2009 15:41    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Nice one. Gimme your email and I'll send it on to you later today. No rush on getting back to me.

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Oct 06, 2009 20:39    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Ok I've sent that to you.

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Oct 06, 2009 21:12    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Got it, thanks Smile

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2009 21:35    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Ok I've uploaded the tutorial. It should be available soon. Thanks for your work James.

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2009 09:00    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Happy to help ^_^

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> Dark Forces Levels & Editing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: