DF-21 Forums Forum Index DF-21 Forums
The Dark Forces Community

DF-21.net Home | FAQ | Search | Memberlist  | Register 
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

Jedi Knight for Dark Forces and Lightsaber Weapons Patch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> Dark Forces Levels & Editing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
General Makabe
Dianoga

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2009 20:03    Post subject: Jedi Knight for Dark Forces and Lightsaber Weapons Patch View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Konichiwa disciples of Kyle Katarn!
I'm pleased to be a part of the DF-21 community, the fanbase for the classic Star Wars game. I have also played most of the Hall of Fame levels, and they are excellent (though some could benefit from a walkthrough). I've yet to fully explore more of what the editing community has to offer, but I am curious about one thing in particular: how come no one has attempted to create a lightsaber weapon patch for Dark Forces? Also, has anyone considered in turning Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 into a level pack for the original Dark Forces? That is, recreate the levels of the sequel in the Jedi Engine?

sheepandshepherd
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2009 22:05    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

There is a mod level with a lightsaber to replace the fists, though I have no clue anymore what the name of it was. Unfortunately, that's about all we can do with the old DF engine - replace an existing weapon's graphics and sounds. Maybe with DarkXL it'll be possible, but I doubt many people would be interested. After all, that's what the Jedi Knight series is for.

If you want, you can look around in the Downloads section for that level though - IIRC, it had something to do with biomissiles the Empire was researching. Haven't played it in a while though, so I may be wrong.

klasodeth
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2009 22:23    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I agree sheepandshepherd. For me, part of the charm of Dark Forces was being able to play a Han Solo styled character. Personally, I think the whole Jedi/lightsaber angle has been overdone. Not every single character in Star Wars is a Jedi, so it annoys me that smuggler/mercenary/commando types aren't adequately represented.

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2009 00:02    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Please only click the submit button once to post a thread, you posted two. Smile

I cleaned up the other one for you, but next time you should clean up your own mess! >Sad... Wink

As for the lightsaber... I recall seeing a mod that did just that, it looked like it was MS Painted though and a lightsaber that does fist damage isn't very impressive...

Fenwar
Admiral Ackbar
Admiral Ackbar

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2010 21:33    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

The saber first appeared (I think) in Terminate Boba Fett and there might also be one in the Rock: Gandolo IV. They may or may not be identical.

As I recall it was basically the equivalent of whacking someone over the head with a plastic toy. :/

General Makabe
Dianoga

PostPosted: Nov 12, 2010 20:35    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I realize this reply is pretty late. Sorry. I thought that I did post once, but the site was confused, and when I tried to delete the repeated post, it didn't work. Thank you for being helpful, The MAZZTer.

What I actually had in mind for a lightsaber mod for darkforces was something similar to the samurai sword in Shadow Warrior. You slice your enemy once, and the attack is followed by a decapitation, disembowelment, and dismemberment animation.

I did play with the available levels with lightsabers in them, I was surprised and disappointed. If they were just going to use the fist as a template for a saber, I would have thought they would at least amplify the punch's power, or attribute a plasma canon or concussion-rifle-like splash damage effect to the poorly designed saber.

When I suggested a Jedi Knight remake for Dark Forces, I meant a Dark Forces styled recreation of Jedi Knight where the level design of JK was given more of a DF feel to it. It still probably wouldn't make it a good idea, but probably a nice concept for a hypothetical mod.

My intention wasn't to bring the overdone Jedi aspect to Dark Forces (since I agree, it has been overdone), but bring Jedi Knight closer to its Dark Forces roots.

I would look forward to using Dark XL if I ever learn the ways of DF-21 editing.

Nottheking
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2010 23:21    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Yeah, as the others have said, there's not a whole lot you can do with the Dark Forces stuff. The 10 weapons are fixed in function: not a single attribute about them can be changed.

Nor can you change any of the "object logics" used; so you can't, say, modify a stormtrooper to have more health, etc. The most you can do is set an object to have multiple logics: assigning two identical enemy logics to a sprite will make it move and shoot twice as fast, for instance. (though it can also slightly glitch their animation)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> Dark Forces Levels & Editing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: