DF-21 Forums Forum Index DF-21 Forums
The Dark Forces Community

DF-21.net Home | FAQ | Search | Memberlist  | Register 
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

The Dark Tide on Youtube
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patrick Haslow
Trandoshan

PostPosted: May 26, 2010 15:46    Post subject: The Dark Tide on Youtube View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Hey guys, after running Boxer on Mac OS X, I found it super easy and fun to run Dark Forces on it, as well as using its video capture. I wanted to post some highlights of The Dark Tide series- since we did spend so much time on it, it at least should be up for posterity. So there are some vids there now, and more to come. Feel free to subscribe to my channel if you enjoyed them. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/user/PHaslow

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: May 27, 2010 00:40    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

How does it run compared to DosBox? Better? Worse? About the same? Might give me something to look forward to when I fly back home tomorrow Smile

Patrick Haslow
Trandoshan

PostPosted: May 27, 2010 01:21    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I haven't tried DosBox, so I can't say. I just liked the whole UI of Boxer, so I went with it. Real easy to use mods as well. Only trouble is I got an out of memory error on the 1st level of DTIII. I think I remember this happening back in the day, but at this point I can't remember why or how to resolve it.

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: May 27, 2010 10:46    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Cool, I'll have to give that a go when I get home. Gots a long flight ahead of me tomorrow. Hard to believe it's been a month already...

Lionel Fouillen
Gamorrean

PostPosted: May 27, 2010 23:37    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Thanks for posting, Patrick. It was so great to view the scenes all in a row. What a quantity of work you and Matt put into that! And it reminded me of the moment where players must pilot the droid to decode Jan's message. You've really twisted DF editing to the maximum to exploit the most unsuspected capabilities of the game's engine. Congratulations again!

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: May 29, 2010 03:40    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Huuurrrrrrr.... I get that silly CD Access Error thingy. I grabbed this all from my Steam account, how did you get it to identify the CD.ID?

Matt H
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: May 29, 2010 04:02    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

DosBox is fairly easy to set up (both Mac and PC). I ran into the same out of memory error for DTIII and DTIV, but I was able to up the memory to 63mb in the config file and now it works. Maybe you can do the same for Boxer.

These videos really made me smile. Good times.

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: May 29, 2010 15:44    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

You can. You can open the folder from the Boxer window, right click (or ctrl-click if you have a single-button mouse) the file it created for Dark Forces and open package contents. You'll see the DOSBox configuration note file in there and you can input the memory access there.

Still don't know why it's having trouble for me though, I've tried everything and I'm still getting the CD Access Error.

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: May 29, 2010 17:50    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Use the no cd trick? Razz

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: May 30, 2010 05:33    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I don't know how to do that with Boxer Sad

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: May 31, 2010 04:46    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Figure out which directory its mounting as C in DOSBox (probably the DARK directory) and put the CD.ID file there. Then modify DRIVE.CD to have the single letter C.

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: May 31, 2010 08:38    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Cool, I'll try that later then.

Patrick Haslow
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2010 15:51    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Somewhere in Boxer's instructions it tells you how to play the games without the CD. I got that working quite easily and never even use the DF CD anymore. Haven't tried using Steam files, but maybe you could try making a disc image of them, and then use Boxer's "install CD" option by choosing the image.

Thanks for the info on increasing the memory. I'll have to try that one.

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Jun 11, 2010 00:02    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

yeah I got it to work. It didn't work with the Steam version I had but it worked with the old ISO I downloaded a while back. Works a little better on OSX than XP which was kinda cool. If I can find a way of moving all of my production to the mac end I can probably ditch XP all together.

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Jun 11, 2010 03:09    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Steam version already has the no-CD hack built into it plus DOSBox too.

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Jun 11, 2010 05:27    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Yet it didn't work regardless.

Patrick Haslow
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2010 14:57    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I failed to notice that Boxer is really just a "wrapper" app for DosBox. It makes a package for each installed game so you can just double click on its icon to run the game without having to muck about in DOS. In the package is included a config file for the game. I found the "memsize" setting and uncommented and upped it to 63mb and was able to run DTIII.

Sadly, I found more errors than I remembered, including a ladder that doesn't always work in mission 1, and also sometimes you can't seal off the hangar area from space in mission 3. Its amazing how much you would do differently when you go back and look at your work a few years later!

Anyways, I was thinking about someday making a trailer of my favorite DF mod moments someday. I found a lot of fun stuff in the demo levels section here that I had forgotten about. I can't remember if Matt H ever included his forest/river setting demo either, but that would go in there as well. Also , Barry Brien did a great level at one point where the player fought inside train cars...but they may have been deleted later from a finished level.

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2010 23:54    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I think the train one is still there, but I don't think Matt H ever uploaded the other one. Is it the Winter Wonderland one you are referring to?

Patrick Haslow
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2010 01:04    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Yeah.

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2010 01:06    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, wasn't that supposed to be some super awesome secret project? I remember only seeing a couple of screens for it then never again.

Patrick Haslow
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2010 15:43    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I believe it was more of a tech/art demo really. It was really well done though. I may have it as an attachment in an old email.

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2010 19:17    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

The train level was going to be a sequel to AoNS before I abandoned it to work on Blood Money, which I abandoned to work on DTIV. Blood Money was rather ambitious and I got a lot of work done on it. anybody remember the hi res stormtrooper sprite I was working on?

Patrick Haslow
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2010 21:17    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Oh yeah! It would be cool to see that in DarkXL.

Geoffrey S
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2010 08:51    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Nice videos. Brings back the memories.
Blood Money was rather decent. Looked remarkably modern with the textures and stormtrooper from Jedi Outcast, and the design of the base was just great.

Markyb
Dianoga

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2010 19:47    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

The MAZZTer wrote:
Figure out which directory its mounting as C in DOSBox (probably the DARK directory) and put the CD.ID file there. Then modify DRIVE.CD to have the single letter C.

Hi guys,

I bought Dark Forces off Steam, get the message about not being able to locate the CD-ROM diskette.

I am an amateur at this DosBox business, when I try to change DRIVE.CD to DRIVE.C I am told it is read only.

Any help would be cool.

Mark

Markyb
Dianoga

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2010 22:02    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Markyb wrote:
The MAZZTer wrote:

Hi guys,

I bought Dark Forces off Steam, get the message about not being able to locate the CD-ROM diskette.

I am an amateur at this DosBox business, when I try to change DRIVE.CD to DRIVE.C I am told it is read only.

Any help would be cool.

Mark

Managed to do it, think I got the wrong end of the stick. Hope I haven't ruined the files.

Sorry for double post,
Mark

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2010 00:02    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I had that same problem too. I ended up just downloading an ISO of it (I own it already off of steam) and let Boxer make a game box with that. I'm a happy camper now Razz

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2010 02:08    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Mark the Steam version is bundled with DOSBox plus a special config setup to make everything work. If you use your own DOSBox with it you should check their config and see what needs to be done; namely, mounting the directory with CD.ID in it as C:\

Markyb
Dianoga

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2010 22:29    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Hi guys, thanks for replying, if I ever manage to get this to work I hope to stick around a bit.

Burning Gundam wrote:
I had that same problem too. I ended up just downloading an ISO of it (I own it already off of steam) and let Boxer make a game box with that. I'm a happy camper now Razz

"downloading an ISO"? I've been reading about ISOs and disk images and don't really understand anything! If I get some off this free software will it help me? - http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Best/download-iso.html

The MAZZTer wrote:

Mark the Steam version is bundled with DOSBox plus a special config setup to make everything work. If you use your own DOSBox with it you should check their config and see what needs to be done; namely, mounting the directory with CD.ID in it as C:\

Thanks for trying to explain this all to me, I saw the DOSbox which came bundled, however this does not work as I have a Mac so I am trying to use the DOSbox which I play the demo with.

"If you use your own DOSBox with it you should check their config and see what needs to be done"

Not sure how I can check their config.

" mounting the directory with CD.ID in it as C:\"

This confuses me even more! the directory with CD.ID is the directory with most rest of the files, furthermore don't we always mount the files as C:/ ?!

I know that this forum was not created to explain to stupid people how to run a computer game so I do not expect help.

I know we are in recession and all but I was thinking of buying the PC version off amazon and trying that on a windows laptop I 'inherited', so no sweat!

Thanks guys,

Mark

EDIT: A simple use of the term 'Star Wars Dark Forces ISO' has helped answer some of my questions. I may get back to you but I am worried I have taken this thread off topic.

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2010 00:24    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Even if you had a PC laptop you would end up having to do the same thing (unless the laptop is really old).

As far as the ISO question is concerned, an ISO is basically a disc image. Imagine that the ISO is a CD, only it's a virtual CD and not a real one, it behaves the same way.

I'm still baffled that I couldn't get my steam version to work though since they're fundamentally the same thing, I'll try and look into it later and see if I can't help out a bit more.

But to answer your earlier question, don't bother with the ISO program, those all deal with creation of and extraction and isn't required should you go in that direction.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: