DF-21 Forums Forum Index DF-21 Forums
The Dark Forces Community

DF-21.net Home | FAQ | Search | Memberlist  | Register 
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

DarkXL, first experience

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> DarkXL General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrandAdmiralThrawn
Dianoga

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2010 17:10    Post subject: DarkXL, first experience View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Hello!

I hope my post here won't count as spam. Wink

A friend of mine showed this site to me recently, and I was like "OMG FINALLY" when I saw this. I have been waiting for a 3D accelerated Dark Forces for so long now, playing other ported games using the Doomsday Engine (Doom, Doom 2, Heretic, Hexen), or that Duke Nukem 3D OpenGL port, different Glide Ports etc.

All this time I have been waiting and hoping for a Dark Forces port, and here it finally is! Smile

So, i installed Dark Forces from my CD yesterday using DosBox (since my WinXP x64 edition doesn't like 16-Bit code outside of DosBox), and tried to run DarkXL, and even though so much seems to be still missing, the experience was great nonetheless. Like the first Days with GLDoom. Smile

I would like to thank you people for doing this, no matter if it will take 1, 2 or 5 years to "complete" it, this is GREAT!

For an early Alpha it was even surprisingly easy to configure and run, and it even accepted my german version showing german text and playing my german sound files. Smile

Ran it on Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, SP2, 2 x 285 GTX in SLI, Core i7 920, X-Fi XtremeMusic, and it flew!

I hope you people keep developing this, I love what I've seen so far!

Again: Thanks a lot! Smile

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2010 18:43    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I am glad you enjoyed DarkXL. Smile

The project is well on it's way to Beta so it'll be fully playable in the near future. Read this for more information.

GrandAdmiralThrawn
Dianoga

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2010 19:55    Post subject: DarkXL View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Thanks, I just tried Alpha 9.01. Found a strange bug with FSAA requiring compatibility bits set in nVidia drivers to work (usually only the case with engines using FP16 or FP32 HDR Rendering?!). Will open a new thread for that, including workaround.

Besides that: Alpha 9.01 is SO much better than the version I got from [here], thanks! Smile

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2010 22:27    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Hi, we're light on images here, could you kindly remove the honkin' big image from your sig? Thanks. Smile

Oh yeah welcome. Razz

klasodeth
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2010 23:36    Post subject: Re: DarkXL, first experience View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

GrandAdmiralThrawn wrote:
Hello!

I hope my post here won't count as spam. Wink

Laughing Actually, based on your signature graphic I was expecting you to tell us that you couldn't get DarkXL to run on a 3Dfx card. Laughing

Welcome!

GrandAdmiralThrawn
Dianoga

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2010 12:15    Post subject: Sig etc. View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I think a fixed function rendering pipeline was planned, I read that somewhere here? Maybe I'm wrong but if so, it might work on my Voodoo5 6000 then. Wink

I removed the 380x92 banner from my signature, is this smaller picture ok?

Gary
Dianoga

PostPosted: Dec 03, 2010 20:22    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I hope this is all right, when i use this thread, because it is also my first experience with DarkXL. And for the first look, it ist great, really! Smile

But, how can it be otherwise, i have two little questions.

One is, why play the music so fast? Explicit at mission two and following... It is strange, because in the first mission it plays in the right frequency.

And the second is, have you anything testing with the german version? I think not... Because the sound is stuttering and not complete by the "speak-sounds" and cutscenes. I must at this time mix the two versions, english cutscenes and german text or sounds (for the enemy speaking).
When you will, i can send you the sound file or a *.lfd-file for example to testing it, so you can better see it.

Okay, that's it for now. Please carry on with your project. Very Happy

Regards from germany! (I hope you could understand me.)

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Dec 03, 2010 21:51    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Gary wrote:
I hope this is all right, when i use this thread, because it is also my first experience with DarkXL. And for the first look, it ist great, really! Smile

But, how can it be otherwise, i have two little questions.

One is, why play the music so fast? Explicit at mission two and following... It is strange, because in the first mission it plays in the right frequency.

And the second is, have you anything testing with the german version? I think not... Because the sound is stuttering and not complete by the "speak-sounds" and cutscenes. I must at this time mix the two versions, english cutscenes and german text or sounds (for the enemy speaking).
When you will, i can send you the sound file or a *.lfd-file for example to testing it, so you can better see it.

Okay, that's it for now. Please carry on with your project. Very Happy

Regards from germany! (I hope you could understand me.)

I admit that I have not tested with German sounds - mostly because I do not speak German. However I will look into the German sound issue in the future.

Just to be clear, you're saying that all the German speech is incorrect (stutters or doesn't play fully)?

Gary
Dianoga

PostPosted: Dec 03, 2010 22:19    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Wow, this answer comes very fast. Smile

But yes, it is with any sounds, and i can not understand why. There can not be so different adverse the english, mh.

It is not so critical, but when you have time for this, let me now, when you need some one or help.

And the music? Is it so normal, that it play so fast?

...now i have played until "Gromas Mines", but i have forgotten to read it, that i should not use the "Plasma Cutter"... Very Happy

Hazekel
Dianoga

PostPosted: Dec 03, 2010 22:43    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I too was impressed by DarkXL. Believe it or not, however, the thing I missed most from the original Dark Forces is the ability to blow up those lights! The ones conspicuously placed on the floor for no other reason than to trap me, or sabotage the troopers (if you are smart).

Any chance you can fix that in the future build?

Anyway. Thanks for letting me play a great old game again without getting a head ache (the 320 resolution did that to me). Very Happy

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Dec 03, 2010 23:01    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Hazekel wrote:
I too was impressed by DarkXL. Believe it or not, however, the thing I missed most from the original Dark Forces is the ability to blow up those lights! The ones conspicuously placed on the floor for no other reason than to trap me, or sabotage the troopers (if you are smart).

Any chance you can fix that in the future build?

Anyway. Thanks for letting me play a great old game again without getting a head ache (the 320 resolution did that to me). Very Happy

You welcome, thanks for the compliments. Smile

As for the lights, if you can destroy it in Dark Forces then you'll be able to destroy it in DarkXL in the future too.

Gary wrote:
But yes, it is with any sounds, and i can not understand why. There can not be so different adverse the english, mh.

It is not so critical, but when you have time for this, let me now, when you need some one or help.

And the music? Is it so normal, that it play so fast?

The music playback is being reworked for the Beta. So yes, the music playback isn't correct yet but it will be fixed soon. Also the missing weapons (and Plasma Cutter) will work correctly in the next build.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> DarkXL General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: