DF-21 Forums Forum Index DF-21 Forums
The Dark Forces Community

DF-21.net Home | FAQ | Search | Memberlist  | Register 
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

Converting Waxes too and fro...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> Dark Forces Levels & Editing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clonehunter
Dianoga

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2010 20:16    Post subject: Converting Waxes too and fro... View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to DF-21 (Signed up a while ago actually), and so to start things off for me, I have a question about Waxes. Firstly, I downloaded the BMPDF file pack from the downloads section, hoping to use the WAX2.EXE. When I run it though, A box pops up, telling me what to do. (A DOS Box) I can't type commands in it, or really do anything at all. It's all a bit confusing, and the directions in the readme don't help. So can someone, or anyone help me please? (PS: I'm using Windows 98, if that helps. I just thought that using an old computer for an older game would work better, as it already has for Quake and Chasm: The Rift, as well DF as a game.)

sheepandshepherd
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2010 21:31    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

You need to use the command prompt -- all of those old tools lack a GUI of their own. In case you don't know how those work, this is how:

1. Under Start>Accessories, you'll find Command Prompt (the exact location may be different for Windows 98*)

2. Navigate to the folder that contains WAX2.exe. Again, you may know how to do this, but here's the explanation: type 'cd\' to get out of whatever folder you're in now, and then type 'cd <folder>' until you get to wherever you have WAX2.exe.

3. Type 'WAX2.exe' and it will show you the command switches you can use.

4. Make sure your unconverted files are in the same folder, and then run WAX2.exe again, with all the switches and filenames like in the example it should give you.

* Speaking of Windows 98 . . . you may want to consider playing the game on a newer (XP or later) computer, as DOSBox, the DOS emulator most of us use, requires a newer OS. Dark Forces will actually play better in DOSBox than in Windows 98, unless you get really lucky. The last time I tried to play DF on a Windows 98, I couldn't get sound to work and the HUD flashed on and off. There's a tutorial on this site on how to use it, in case you decide to switch. Some of the older editing programs you're using may, of course, work better in Windows 98, so just try everything out until you're satisfied.

Clonehunter
Dianoga

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2010 15:09    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Alright thanks, I'll be sure to do that.

sheepandshepherd wrote:

* Speaking of Windows 98 . . . you may want to consider playing the game on a newer (XP or later) computer, as DOSBox, the DOS emulator most of us use, requires a newer OS. Dark Forces will actually play better in DOSBox than in Windows 98, unless you get really lucky. The last time I tried to play DF on a Windows 98, I couldn't get sound to work and the HUD flashed on and off. There's a tutorial on this site on how to use it, in case you decide to switch. Some of the older editing programs you're using may, of course, work better in Windows 98, so just try everything out until you're satisfied.

Actually, except for a few games, I use 98 for all my DOS gaming, Powerslave, Dark Forces, Quake, CHasm: The Rift: They all work great on my 98's with no problems! I got an error actually once when I tried to use DF with DOSBox once actually... But it probally had to do with the fact I needed to have the CD inserted...

EDIT: Unlesss I'm not doin' it right, I get an error like this: Error Opening BOSSK.WAX

My command line is this:

C:\Dark\Tools\Bmpdf\WAX2.exe Bossk.wax
and then I tried
C:\Dark\Tools\Bmpdf\wax2 Bossk.wax

But still no luck.

sheepandshepherd
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2010 16:00    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Mmm, I can't run the program at all on my computer (Windows 7 64 bit), sorry. I don't remember the more specific details of how to use the program, but I'll go try it in DOSBox.

EDIT: I see the problem, your file must not be in the same ("current") directory. It could be that you need to move the WAX into the folder with WAX2.exe, but more likely it happened because you're not "in" the directory with WAX2 (you're executing the program from outside its folder). Here's a screenshot, try doing it this way:

You should also use the /M switch to make a "makefile" so that you can convert your images back to a new WAX later.

Clonehunter
Dianoga

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2010 16:35    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Um, okay... SO I need DOS Box for this? I have already had the wax in the same folder... Hmm... Alright I'll try DOS Box I guess...

sheepandshepherd
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2010 16:40    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

No, sorry, I didn't mean DOSBox (it works the same way as command prompt). I meant, in command prompt, navigate to the folder you have WAX2 in, like this:
C:\>cd Dark\Tools\Bmpdf\

Then, AFTER you've done that, type in WAX2.exe Bossk.wax.

I figured the problem was because you put them all on the same line -- which doesn't have the same effect in DOS.

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Jul 03, 2010 02:28    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial76.html

sheepandshepherd
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2010 00:38    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

The MAZZTer wrote:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial76.html

Exactly Smile

Clonehunter
Dianoga

PostPosted: Dec 04, 2010 20:13    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Hmm... Maybe. Um, also, are there any DF editors available that can work for newer PC's like XP, Vista, etc... ?

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Dec 04, 2010 20:20    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I thought someone was working on one that would be like the swiss-army knife for editing things like that. Wasn't that you, MAZZter?

Edit: Nevermind, I looked at the topic immediately bellow this one and realized it was Gez Laughing

Clonehunter
Dianoga

PostPosted: Dec 04, 2010 21:12    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Ah yes, Gez. Sent him an email a lil' while ago about Slade. I couldn't get the darn program to work.

Gez
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Dec 05, 2010 06:12    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Clonehunter wrote:
Ah yes, Gez. Sent him an email a lil' while ago about Slade. I couldn't get the darn program to work.

I didn't receive it. Confused

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Dec 07, 2010 12:55    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I made a library for converting between normal image files and all the DF image/palette formats but I never finished the UI for it.

Clonehunter
Dianoga

PostPosted: Dec 27, 2010 00:42    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I'd just like to say I've got it figured out now, by following the above diagrams or whatever. DOSBox I guess was the answer Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> Dark Forces Levels & Editing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: