DF-21 Forums Forum Index DF-21 Forums
The Dark Forces Community

DF-21.net Home | FAQ | Search | Memberlist  | Register 
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

I Finally Have Screenshots Up...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2005 22:27    Post subject: I Finally Have Screenshots Up... View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

In light of my newfound ability to use the internet on my G3, I decided to take a few photos and put them up. Hope you enjoy (As they aren't as flashy as that DT project)

A picture of the interior of the organization's complex.

A cool looking computer room in the commercial district.

Looking out the window towards the residential district.

Work is coming along nicely, but it's far from being completed.

Last edited by Burning Gundam on Aug 25, 2005 22:37; edited 1 time in total

Fish
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Aug 24, 2005 11:35    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Nice! Very nice, indeed. I especially like the architecture layout on the first screenshot. Keep up the good work!

Geoffrey S
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Aug 24, 2005 13:04    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Nice, the design looks good in the first shot and I like the detailing in the second. One thing I'd advise is more variation in the verical department; this can be either more windows or indents, or more detailed and larger textures (perhaps gradually darkening towards the ceiling.

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Aug 24, 2005 17:44    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Geoffrey's right. Textures that gradually darken as they rise greatly help create the illusion of height. As well as this I think it's important to use and create as many custom textures as possible. Think about it. There are well over 200 Dark Forces missions available, and the vast majority of these missions reuse the same small set of textures over and over and over. In my opinion, in this day and age, that any new DF mission released is in danger of looking dated and unoriginal if custom textures are not used.
I'm not applying this to your level, not based on these pictures anyway. In fact, I think it looks great. But maybe it could look even better if you used custom textures.

Darth Oosha
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Aug 24, 2005 18:59    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

My favorite shot was the third/last one. Maybe more detail could be fit in, but the colors/textures just seem to fit together. I guess I've always liked that yellow-and-black one.

Fenwar
Admiral Ackbar
Admiral Ackbar

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2005 10:59    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Good work, looking forward to this one. The first shot in particular is very nice Smile

I agree with what others have said regarding texturing, this isn't a criticism of your shots in particular but with big walls a vertically repeating texture can look a bit old hat. On the other hand, creating very large bm's that look good in DF is something I've never really got the hang of. A shortcut might be to use indents and sign textures to vary things up a little.

You've not shied away from using some custom bm's though... keep up the good work. old skool cool

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2005 20:47    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I'm actually in the process of making sign BMs right now. I did notice that the lack of signs and flashy things made it a lot less city like. I might even take the time to make a news bulliten screen on par with the ones in Dark Tide 2 with Prince Xisor.

If anybody would be willing (Patrick Haslow and Barry Brian *Wink Wink Nudge Nudge) to make large flashy advertisements or signs without text (I will do that myself) that would be helpful.

Fenwar
Admiral Ackbar
Admiral Ackbar

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2005 11:05    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

"signs" don't even have to be flashy billboards etc. - it could just be a way of adding extra architextural detail (e.g. a row of windows, or randomly placed "wear and tear")... not that billboards are bad Smile

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2005 17:44    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Yeah I know, I just think a city would be more city-like with a bunch of signs.

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2005 20:29    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Burning Gundam wrote:

If anybody would be willing (Patrick Haslow and Barry Brian *Wink Wink Nudge Nudge) to make large flashy advertisements or signs without text (I will do that myself) that would be helpful.

I don't know about Patrick, or Barry Brian (whoever he is) but I have an absolute tonne of signs made for DT4. If the other guys don't object I could send you a few of them. Or I could make you a few new ones. I don't know, I'm pretty busy, so I won't commit to anything, but I might be able to sort you out.

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2005 21:51    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

That would be incredibly awesome Barry (sorry I got your last name wrong... again). If no one else objects to the DT4 ones, you can send me a couple of benign ones or make up some of your own. You've been an incredible help to me in the past and I would greatly oblidge.

I recently found a mess of fonts for different Star Wars languages just now (Mandalorian, Sith, Trade Fed. etc.) but unfortunately Aurebesh does not work with Photoshop Sad . On the upside, there is another Galactic Basic font that is similar to aurebesh and closer to the movie. So now I don't have to do every letter by hand.

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Aug 27, 2005 08:03    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I'm having a lot of fun making signs now. Here's a couple pictures with signs I made today.

Not much, but a small new sign and a new added hallway to an indoor courtyard.

Another bigger new sign in a separate indoor court.

I know it looks a little barren, but hopefully it will change very soon. So far this level is just going to be a point to point mission with little objective to it, that opens it up more to exploring and trying to find a way from point A to point B. Yes it sounds a little boring but I promise to make it interesting.

Nottheking
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Aug 29, 2005 13:14    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Looks very nice, but this leaves a question... WHAT is the project called now? You've gone through so many "different" projects that I cannot remember them all anymore. Keep up the good work, and hopefuly you'll finally get one completed!

Just remember to back them up more often this time; I reccomend a USB flash drive, but a Gmail account would work as well. (as long as everything can be compressed to under 10MB, which should be no sweat)

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2005 03:51    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Very nice. That door in the second shot could use a little work tho. It's too boring... especially the lower left quadrant. Maybe a little rust or some scratches or dents or something.

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2005 08:06    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Okay, since this is the upteenth time I've changed the plot, I have decided to make this the final working plot and title for this project.

RANSOM ON TARSALUS II

As the rebel alliance builds up its support from other systems in light of their victory over the Empire in the destruction of the Death Star, ambassadors of the alliance have been covertly dispatched to different systems to negotiate peace treaties and build more forces to their cause. Recently, the Alliance lost contact with an ambassador who was sent to the outer-rim system of Tarsalus.

A few days later, a message was sent to the Alliance from an as-of-yet unidentified organization claiming they had the ambassador and would kill him if their demands were not met. Their demands: 1 billion credits.

The Alliance, while angered at this prospect, believed that this outrageous demand was no reason to send an entire fleet to attempt a rescue mission. Instead, formulated a plan to save the ambassador. Enter Kyle Katarn, back from leave after destroying the Arc Hammer. The plan is simple: Carry out a covert mission to infiltrate the enemy institution while the Alliance distracts them by meeting their demands. Mission, save the ambassador and if necessary kill the organization's leader.

That's the plot I have come up with and I am quite pleased with it. It doesn't seem as far fetched as the spice plot, or as over-used as the assassination plot. I plan to add a plot twist towards the end to make the story more interesting.

Nottheking
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2005 19:19    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Burning Gundam wrote:
Okay, since this is the upteenth time I've changed the plot, I have decided to make this the final working plot and title for this project.

RANSOM ON TARSALUS II

<snip>

Sounds good. By "Death Star," you mean the first one? If so, it's more like the Rebel Alliance can't afford to send a fleet of ships. But anyway, it's not bad at all. Just make sure it SURVIVES this time, okay? Wink

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2005 22:05    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Oh trust me, every time I update a large amount, I backup so if my computer crashes again, I'll hve a fairly good one to back up on.

And yes, it is the first Death Star I was refering to.

Patrick Haslow
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2005 23:08    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I think you should drop the "II" after Tarsalus. It's kind of a sci-fi cliche to throw on a number to a planet's name, Think about it- Ransom on Tarsalus sounds so much better.

...and we can ask later, "so how is RoT?"

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Sep 09, 2005 07:09    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I guess that could work...

And just in case you were wondering how it was going, it is going well. I have a bulk of the level done, and I have just a few little areas I have to do then I can start on object placement and finallizing INF. Then comes the tedious part of cleaning everything up so it looks nice.

I'm currently building a residential district and just today finished designing an infirmery. I also made a few new textures (well, not too new, as some are based on old ones with different colors or designs) so work is coming on much quicker than usual. and since I'm not currently a student, I can focus on this and real life Smile .

But I imagine it won't be nearly as good as Dark Tide 4 or 3 in terms of prettiness and visual splendor, but I am doing my best to at least make it slightly on par to say AoNS or PtHD. And I appreciate everyone's support, as it is the only thing keeping me going on to finish this thing. Then hopefully I can move on to Jedi Crystal and the end of Cloudspear.

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2005 21:38    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Well just don't put "infirmery" on any textures. :X

http://www.google.com/search?q=define:infirmery
http://www.google.com/search?q=define:infirmary

Lionel Fouillen
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2005 08:49    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Good work. Cool

Nottheking
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2005 19:03    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Indeed, I would have to agree on the naming thing; Doesn't "Battle of Yavin" sound much better than "Battle for Yavin IV?"

At any rate, good to see at least you'll be picking up steam. Though I wonder why you might not be in college at the moment, it's possibly best not to ask.

At any rate, if you need a beta-tester, I'll perhaps be glad to re-hook-up my older machine and give it a try. I really DO need to get some of those hardware thingys that let you switch a single monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speaker set between two different computers... I simply don't have the room on my desk for more than my current computer setup, and my old computer's case. (and given that my current computer is equipped with a Radeon X800XT, I have less incentive to use my old machine)

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Sep 14, 2005 06:23    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I actually work two jobs at the moment because the way I figure:

Part Time + Part Time = Full Time

I just want to take some time off from school and make a little money so I'll be covered for the spring. And I thought that having two jobs while being a student would just push me over the edge being overworked. Because I can honestly say that it sucks to work two jobs. I will however quit one of my jobs and go back to school in the spring and get an Associates degree. From there I hope to get a MUCH better job than the two I have now and be able to live more comfortably. In any case, enough about my life plan....

Thank you for the complement Lionel, and NTK, while far from being completed, I will definitely consider you for beta testing. I'll probably work on it a bit before I go to work tomorrow, and I will most likely have new screen shots by the end of the week if I'm not too busy.

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Dec 17, 2005 08:54    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Figured I'd do an update since I have not done so in a couple months.

So what's going on with the project? Very little at an unfortunately slow rate. But I will, on a more possitive note imply that I am not at a loss. It could be that the first level is nearing its as-complete-as-can-be phase. I'm at the point where I'm trying to make less important areas have some meaning and character so everything doesn't look so boring and linear, as it is a city after all. I'm also deleting some of the more unnecessary areas that serve no purpose and just add to the .LEV size, this will hopefully make for a more enjoyable experience.

I have decided that Level 1 will be more of an exploratory level, allowing the player to be adventurous and explore different areas and "blend" with city life.

Level 2 will be more of an emphesis on problem solving and puzzles, though I still have no idea what they are at the moment.

And Level 3 will have more of an anxious feeling to it, as you will feel rushed to save the life of another. I dare say it'll be epic, but it will definately have a climatic feel to it.

So all I can really say is "BLLLLAAAAAHHHHHH". I've been a little too busy lately to just sit down for a while and work on it, so I feel more like I'm chipping away at a slab of slate. Although I have been getting more ideas of how to make small detail improvements as well as new places to be visited and such. Level 1 will be a (hopefully) nice visual experience.

That's all for now. I'll hopefully have screenshots up soon, but it all depends on if I make anything interesting to show.

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2006 19:08    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Finally going to get back to work on this project, I've been accidentally avoiding it for the past month (Because of other projects, work, and social events) so this weekend and for the next week or so I'll be abandoning the comfort of my G4 and do some hardcore work.

I must imply that I haven't really had any artistic inspiration to work with but now I have many ideas that I can incorporate and use.

I know it looks like I've been slacking off, but it's really due to time restraints (although lately I've had plenty of time). So tonight I shall resume operations and get some work done and maybe have some screenshots up as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> Showcase All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: