DF-21 Forums Forum Index DF-21 Forums
The Dark Forces Community

DF-21.net Home | FAQ | Search | Memberlist  | Register 
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

Avatars as a reward for donation?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should I give out avatars to people who donate to the site?
Yes
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
No
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Whatever
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Fenwar
Admiral Ackbar
Admiral Ackbar

PostPosted: Nov 14, 2007 14:29    Post subject: Avatars as a reward for donation? View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I have now set up a Paypal account for donations (more details will follow shortly for anyone who is still interested in doing this).

As a reward to those who donate, I'd like to offer a custom title plus small avatar for the forums. This would be restricted to small (64x64 max) tasteful images and no animated .gifs etc. I've created one for myself as an example (hastily resized - I would of course do a better job on a real avatar!).

These would also be available for anyone who's contributed time or money to the running of the site in the past.

What do you think? Good idea or death of the site as we know it? Let me know:

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Nov 15, 2007 02:45    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I like animated gifs. Sad

They can be quite entertaining.

At least be sure to allow custom avatars and offsite linking so I can do something awesome with PHP and GD! :O

Jackson
Dark Trooper Phase 2

PostPosted: Nov 15, 2007 05:06    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

ZZTer, that second picture is creepy/amazing as anything, even if it doesn't like Daylight Savings Time.

Admiral Fenwar, I think that's a pretty brilliant incentive. *votes yes*

Pumpkinetics
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Nov 15, 2007 08:56    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

DEFINETLY.

Don't know if I'd go for it personally, but I'd like to see the twisted minds of other forumgoers in action.

"WORKIN' ON IT! I SWEAR!"

Fenwar
Admiral Ackbar
Admiral Ackbar

PostPosted: Nov 17, 2007 12:54    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Amusing as those gifs are, I'm going to keep things static. It can start to get distracting when reading a thread full of the things, and phpBB's option to hide avatars doesn't seem to work on these custom ones.

Sorry.

Nottheking
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Nov 29, 2007 00:50    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Sounds like a plausible idea... I guess there should be incentive, even though I'm personally against most ideas to add avatar images to this forum. I must say that the forums I frequent that don't have avatars tend to be cleaner than those that do.

Perhaps there might be some more limitations on the avatars? My original idea from (years) in the past was to limit it to palletized 256-color images. Specifically, those that adhere to one of the palettes used in Dark Forces.

Still, I'd like to see some more questions asked and answered here first, to be honest, before anything like this might be implemented. For all we know, this COULD be a trap. (sorry, I couldn't resist the temptation to say that... :p)
The_Mega_ZZTer wrote:
They can be quite entertaining.

Darnit, I *still* haven't figured out how you make images that work as scripts instead!

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Nov 29, 2007 15:33    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Jackson: The server is in Texas, and it uses the local server time, not yours. It's an hour off for me too. Smile

Nottheking: And making scripts with image extensions can be done in a number of ways. You could rewrite URLs to translate specific image urls into .PHP ones. I imagine you could create a directory called "something.jpg" and put an index.php in there and the forum software would think that's a file link and not a directory one.

The method I use is to have PHP parse all .JPEG files by changing the mime type of .JPEG in an .htaccess file... I use the fact that .JPG and .JPEG both represent JPEG files, and I use .JPG for actual images and .JPEG for scripts disguised as images.

Of course now I also like to use mod_rewrite to take all requests to a subdirectory and rewrite them into a specific PHP file (so that I can forge PHP script parameters as directory names!) and I always make the regex so it strips off an optional image file extension.

Check the image url. /big/size/r/g/b/text.png

Fenwar
Admiral Ackbar
Admiral Ackbar

PostPosted: Nov 29, 2007 15:36    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Nottheking wrote:
I must say that the forums I frequent that don't have avatars tend to be cleaner than those that do.

This is true, and it's the main reason we haven't had avatars here in the past.

Even my demo avatar does seem a little out of place in this familiar layout.

Quote:
Perhaps there might be some more limitations on the avatars? My original idea from (years) in the past was to limit it to palletized 256-color images. Specifically, those that adhere to one of the palettes used in Dark Forces.

Or I could limit it to sprites from the game itself.

Hmmm.

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Nov 29, 2007 15:44    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I made a symlink on my server to always point to my current avatar. <3

Nottheking
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2007 04:48    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Fenwar wrote:
Or I could limit it to sprites from the game itself.

Hmmm.

That was also an idea I'd had, though I'd reconsidered on that, given the pretty sparse supplyo f sprites available in Dark Forces... Personally, I'd like it limited to those found in DF, as well as other Star Wars games that used VGA graphics and LANDRU cutscenes... As well as add-on content. So basic DF pictures, as well as perhaps those from X-wing & TIE Fighter, and those added in new for add-on levels... With possible approval required for those. (to limit those found in levvels that weren't fitting to begin with...)

Darth Oosha
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2007 19:12    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Our current color scheme might be part of what makes avatars look out of place; it's not very neutral. I still voted against them on general principles, though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: