DF-21 Forums Forum Index DF-21 Forums
The Dark Forces Community

DF-21.net Home | FAQ | Search | Memberlist  | Register 
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

Icons for Stickies and Announcements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
klasodeth
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Aug 18, 2008 03:39    Post subject: Icons for Stickies and Announcements View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Is there any way to increase the contrast between the icons used to indicate stickies and announcements with new posts versus the icons used to indicate stickies and announcements that have no new posts? Right now the color difference is slight enough that I find it hard to spot updated topics. Fortunately this is not a problem with regular topics. For ordinary threads, the difference is very obvious.

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Aug 18, 2008 03:45    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I just look for the little

klasodeth
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Aug 18, 2008 05:03    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Unfourtunately, that icon also suffers from the same problem I'm talking about with the stickies and announcement. If I'm clicking on threads that I don't already know have new posts, how is an even smaller low-contrast icon going to help? Sure I can see the difference if there's no glare whatsoever on my screen and my monitor is oriented just right. But it would be nice if there was more of a difference.

Old - New

...compared to...

Old - New

The latter example is especially nice, because not only is there a significant brightness difference, but the icon even pulses when there are new posts.

Weregoose
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Aug 18, 2008 06:51    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

On the forum index, there's the View posts since last visit link that I use a lot.

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Aug 18, 2008 19:45    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

LCD monitors ftw

Also the white page never appears in THREAD INDEXES, only on individual posts, which I wasn't talking about. Its counterpart new-post icon is not the one I posted either... no arrow on that one.

klasodeth
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2008 04:29    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

The_Mega_ZZTer wrote:
LCD monitors ftw

I'll try to get rid of that bulky old CRT I lug around with my laptop then.

Quote:
Also the white page never appears in THREAD INDEXES, only on individual posts, which I wasn't talking about. Its counterpart new-post icon is not the one I posted either... no arrow on that one.

Oh, now I see what you're talking about. I'd never noticed that before--probably because stickies and announcements don't update very frequently. I guess I could always use the method Weregoose suggested. I don't normally use that feature because most sites are busy enough that it returns too many posts, many of which are in subforums I don't pay attention to. I can also look for the presence of the icon you posted, although it doesn't quite jump out the way a pulsing red light does. I use my computer a lot of different places, and in many circumstances I have no choice but to put up with glare from banks of fluorescent lighting or from the sun. Having to wave my laptop around like a wand until I find the ideal viewing angle gets old really quick.

I decided to post the following icons anyway, in case I need to refer to them later. I didn't have the opportunity to double-check the naming convention when I started this topic, so I couldn't post the examples I wanted.

Old - New

Old - New

Fenwar
Admiral Ackbar
Admiral Ackbar

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2008 19:45    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Personally I've always used the "View posts since last visit" facility but it's true those icons are a bit rubbish.

IIRC the little folder icons (with proper contrast between red and yellow) are the ones we brought over from our old UBB. The others are default phpBB icons meant to be viewed against a white background.

If anyone is willing to knock together some appropriate gifs - same size and filenames as the images klasodeth has posted - I'd be quite happy to replace them. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: