DF-21 Forums Forum Index DF-21 Forums
The Dark Forces Community

DF-21.net Home | FAQ | Search | Memberlist  | Register 
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

Dark Forces in the News

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> Dark Forces Levels & Editing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jackson
Dark Trooper Phase 2

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2009 23:09    Post subject: Dark Forces in the News View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I just came across a pair of articles that mention Dark Forces (see below) and figured, if only for the sake of nostalgia, we really should have a sticky thread devoted to the latest "news" about our beloved 2.5D FPS of choice.

Post each article's headline and any DF-related excerpts, plus a link to the source. And of course, so this isn't just a scrapbook of DF clippings, feel free to comment on the news.

Jackson
Dark Trooper Phase 2

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2009 23:19    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

The 9 best 'Star Wars'-based video games
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/02/10/DDE215P283.DTL
Quote:
Star Wars: Dark Forces (1995; for PlayStation, PC): With sales of first-person shooters, like Doom, on the rise, LucasArts joined the trend while making some game-play advances, such as crouching and looking around. The then-cutting-edge 3-D graphics engine allowed atmospheric effects and shading, creating dramatic level designs. With plenty of weapons to dispose of Stormtroopers, Dark Forces was a blast. (Christopher T. Fong)

Interesting article out today, and already has a ton of comments.

Jackson
Dark Trooper Phase 2

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2009 23:24    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Opinion: Controlling Fear in Game Design
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php_story=21925
Quote:
The Dark Forces Effect

The only gameplay example I can come up with for comparison to the video was the Coruscant level from 1995's Star Wars: Dark Forces, where we’re asked to walk around a bunch of dangerous railing-free narrow catwalks so high above the planet’s surface we can’t even see the ground.

I was in full control of my character with an FPS control scheme. I was even a badass with an insane number of guns. But the pucker factor for that level was off the charts. Even with a quicksave feature, I was so afraid of falling it became almost crippling.

It was probably due to the constant wind noise, and if I’m remembering correctly, I think they actually tried to blow you off of some ledges every so often. Of course, it didn’t hurt that bad guys were on the ledges too and trying to shoot you the entire time or melee you off of them.

But the point was that despite being given a considerable degree of control (pinpoint shot accuracy, FPS view and controls), I felt at the time very not in complete control of the situation.

It’s interesting to note how this footpath takes control away from the hiker. At times the path is literally crumbled away in front of him, and he is required to walk a balance beam made out of the catwalk’s understructure hundreds of feet in the air before he can return to the relative “safety” of the cement path again.

A good article on building atmosphere, but I think he's thinking of the Detention Center level. (Is there wind in Coruscant? It's been too long since I've played.)

Ryuichi91
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2009 01:20    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I think he meant Nar Shaddaa because that was the most Coruscant looking city in the game

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2009 02:48    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I'm going to make a non-news post because the guy above me already broke the thread.

Also there is no Quick Save or in-level save in Dark Forces. He may be talking about Jedi Knight.

Jackson wrote:

That guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Starfighter sucks. I played it for 5 minutes before the impossible controls made me give up. Googling revealed it wasn't just me.

Jackson
Dark Trooper Phase 2

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2009 22:49    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

The_Mega_ZZTer wrote:
I'm going to make a non-news post because the guy above me already broke the thread.

It's all good! Article commentary's more than welcome!

Also, according to one blog, we may have missed DF's 14th birthday...

On This Day- Star Wars: Dark Forces
http://apocalypso-atomic-arcade.blogspot.com/2009/02/on-this-day-star-wars-dark-forces.html
Quote:
On this day, fourteen years ago, Star Wars: Dark Forces was released.

It is said to be one of the most innovative games of its time, having features that Doom and Doom II didn’t have, including being one of the earliest games, alongside Rise of The Triad, Marathon and Strife, to introduce secondary attacks with weapons.

This was also the first game that featured Kyle Katarn, a favourite Star Wars character who ended up being in the sequel, Star Wars: Dark Forces II, and Star Wars: Jedi Outcast (essentially Star Wars: Dark Forces III).

And let's not forget Star Wars: Dark Forces IV: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Outcast Dos: Jedi Academy!

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2009 00:33    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Jackson wrote:
And let's not forget Star Wars: Dark Forces IV: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Outcast Dos: Jedi Academy!

Jedi Academy's true name Laughing

Tsophika
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2009 05:59    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Here's some retro news. This article was in SW Gamer #1, way back in 1994! Interesting in that it mentions "Ruu San" a supposed Imperial counterpart to Kyle.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> Dark Forces Levels & Editing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: