DF-21 Forums Forum Index DF-21 Forums
The Dark Forces Community

DF-21.net Home | FAQ | Search | Memberlist  | Register 
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

Feature Request Discussion for DarkXL and the Editor
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> Feature Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2009 14:10    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Yay!

sheepandshepherd
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2009 15:09    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Speaking of limited view, I have an idea that I don't think has been suggested yet. One of the main purposes of DF's limited view was to prevent seeing teleporter chutes, but since you're taking that limitation out, we'll be able to see the awkwardness of it . . . maybe you could make the other side of the chutes visible like a vertical adjoin, since they're still gonna be in the original 14 levels and older mods. Since the sectors have to be the same size anyway, it should work, right?

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2009 17:24    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

sheepandshepherd wrote:
Speaking of limited view, I have an idea that I don't think has been suggested yet. One of the main purposes of DF's limited view was to prevent seeing teleporter chutes, but since you're taking that limitation out, we'll be able to see the awkwardness of it . . . maybe you could make the other side of the chutes visible like a vertical adjoin, since they're still gonna be in the original 14 levels and older mods. Since the sectors have to be the same size anyway, it should work, right?

That's a good idea, I hadn't thought of that. Smile

sheepandshepherd
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2009 18:41    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Glad I could contribute Smile Just remember that the chutes don't always have the same altitudes. I'd suggest that you make it appear that the origin chute's floor altitude is the same as the destination chute's ceiling, even if it's not, to avoid any impossible geometry issues. It shouldn't be too big a deal either way, since chutes weren't overly used in most of the DF levels.

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2009 21:25    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I get the feeling it may make a couple of my levels a little awkward since I use teleporters in a couple areas with water so Kyle can 'dive' or 'surface'.

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2009 21:33    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Burning Gundam wrote:
I get the feeling it may make a couple of my levels a little awkward since I use teleporters in a couple areas with water so Kyle can 'dive' or 'surface'.

Sheepandshepherd's idea would have to be optional. Ultimately the plan is to be able to specify "mod settings", i.e. optional features that should be enabled or disabled for a given mod to look its best. The user will be able to override those settings ("ignore mod settings") but then if things look weird, its obvious why. Smile

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2009 08:46    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Fair enough for me Smile

Tsophika
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Aug 29, 2009 03:26    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I suggest integration of pre-rendered cutscenes, whether that format is mpeg, bink or something else. The ability for them to be placed at any point during gameplay would be great, too (i.e. before meeting a Boss at the end of a mission).

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Aug 29, 2009 03:49    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Tsophika wrote:
I suggest integration of pre-rendered cutscenes, whether that format is mpeg, bink or something else. The ability for them to be placed at any point during gameplay would be great, too (i.e. before meeting a Boss at the end of a mission).

Sounds like a good idea.

sheepandshepherd
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Aug 29, 2009 17:01    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I just thought of a really good idea while thinking of the handrails used in a lot of mod levels. You could add (as an extended feature) "collision polygons" to the DXL editor. They would be created just like a new sector - with vertices, floor height, and ceiling height, and eventually slopes. It'd be much more useful than subsectors or second altitudes for things like handrails, 3do elevators and doors, and any other 3do objects. Collision polygons also wouldn't be bound to any specific sector, making it possible to have, for example, a levitating platform that moves through multiple sectors.

Tsophika wrote:

I definitely agree. To expand on the idea, pre-rendered cutscenes that:
- support transparency/alpha
- may or may not pause the game
- may or may not disable the player's controls, weapons, and/or HUD
- can be set by scripts to repeat or play at random intervals
Trust me, I have some fun things planned out for the Interloper series Very Happy

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Aug 29, 2009 17:55    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Having invisible collision shapes is planned.

sheepandshepherd
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Aug 29, 2009 18:30    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Thanks, that'll help out a LOT Smile

waxonator
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Sep 21, 2009 20:21    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

My wishlist

-Widescreen support with 16:9 cutscenes.
-Support for higher res graphics
-Way to edit all graphics
-mp3 or ogg music
-ability to edit sound effects
-standard media file cutscenes (mpeg, avi, etc.)
-ability to add more frames to animations

Taton
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Sep 29, 2009 06:43    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

After laboring for many hours in WDFUSE, I would like the ability to do automatic vertex alignment. When making a curve or circle, it requires the coordinates to be replicated manually for it to adjoin.

It would nice to be able to select a curve, select an appropriately split wall of another sector, and have them move the vertices to there proper place.

Another similar feature would be adoption of sub-sectors. You could work on it separately, then drop em into the appropriate sector without having to deal with creation and alignment of a gap to fit it in.

I do not know if these are feasible, but would make editing less tiresome.

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Sep 29, 2009 09:18    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

With the current work, sub-sectors are super easy to create. You can just draw them in place, or move a sector into another sector and have it become a sub-sector. You can also use another sector to make holes or split the sector (think additive and subtractive 2D CSG). You never have to manually create gaps.

Similarly adjoins are also automatic (no manually adjoining, although you can force adjoins to separate). In addition various vertex/edge/sector alignment options will exist such as aligning a vertex to an edge, aligning edges together so that the vertices line up automatically, connecting sets of vertices together between sectors so that the second sector is rotated, translated and scaled to fit and more. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> Feature Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: