DF-21 Forums Forum Index DF-21 Forums
The Dark Forces Community

DF-21.net Home | FAQ | Search | Memberlist  | Register 
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

Creeating new levels using darkforge on mac osx 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> Dark Forces Levels & Editing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Torture drroid 271
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Nov 11, 2009 23:39    Post subject: Creeating new levels using darkforge on mac osx 10 View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

HI Everybody! I was just wondering how to make new levels from scratch using darkforge on mac osx 10 and please don't say that there are instructions because I can't find them in the DFgoldpackage. So any help would be most appreciated.

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Nov 12, 2009 04:33    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

A quick Google found this: http://www.thedarktide.com/editors/dfspellbook.sit

Torture drroid 271
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Nov 12, 2009 13:06    Post subject: problem View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Well I can't exactly figure out the df editing spellbook. I mean I can't make 2 sectors and a door by following the spell book let alone an entire level.

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Nov 13, 2009 09:16    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Well you have to start somewhere, you can't just say "CREATE A LEVEL!!" and instantly have one. Fiddle around with the tools a little and find out what they do.

Basically (From what I remember), you have 5 basic tools; the sector creation tool, subsector creation, object placement, and your basic movement and selection tools.

All sectors must be created in a clockwise fashion otherwise the game will think a sector created counter-clockwise will be open (Imagine cutting open a basketball and flipping it inside out, only the result will be an infinite plane).

Some things that helped me are to zoom to grid 4 or 8 range. In 4, 2 squares is equivalent to a 4 by 8 DF units so 2x2 in 1:4 scale is equivalent to a standard 8x8 texture. Also when determining your room heights, think in terms of opposites on the y axis (up and down). In other words, if you have a floor and ceiling that you want 20 units high, the floor altitude would be 0 and the ceiling height is -20, assuming of course your starting point is 0 units. if you wanted it 8 units higher, it would be floor= -8 and ceiling= -28.

To join to rooms together, you need a two walls of the same length, in this case I would always use the snap to grid feature so the walls always line up. To make a door, you need another room to act as a door. Fortunately, it is fairly easy to create since all you have to do is double click inside the sector and tick the door option (I can't remember if it's in a drop down menu or if it's a button).

If you want to be able to check it out in DF, you'll need to create a Dummy sector and name it "complete".

That's all I can offer for advice as a starting point at the moment. Don't expect to be pro overnight, it's just not going to happen. It takes a lot of effort and patience to build a DF level, and even more so to make it appealing. I seriously recommend looking through any documentation you can find to help out for the hardcore stuff like INF programming, because that I know for sure will confuse you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> Dark Forces Levels & Editing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: