DF-21 Forums Forum Index DF-21 Forums
The Dark Forces Community

DF-21.net Home | FAQ | Search | Memberlist  | Register 
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

DF running perfectly thanks to this site...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lantern Jaw
Dianoga

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2010 10:38    Post subject: DF running perfectly thanks to this site... View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Just a bit of positive feedback first Smile having followed some installation instructions via this very site, DF is running perfectly on my PC via "VDMS" ...which is great as I never got to play the game back in the day. So thanks for that.

I do however find the controls to be a nightmare, I downloaded a hex editor in order to attempt to alter JEDI.cfg (dragged from the DF CD), but I think even the hex editor is having trouble with the file.

Does anyone on here have a more user friendly JEDI.cfg (with mouse-look and forward/back/strafing on the arrow keys or perhaps wasd) ...or any suggestions as to what I can do in order to rectify this problem?

I know the game has been released on steam with better controls but as I already have the game running perfectly I don't want to shell out more cash just yet. I have a control pad but it's just not doing it for me. DarkXL won't work for me for the forseable future either as I don't have pixel shaders. Anyways I'm babbling now.

Thanks for any help.

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2010 17:36    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

FYI I would recommend DOSBox over VDMS, you may still have sound or video problems with Dark Forces with VDMS... DOSBox is a preferred solution. Smile

You don't need to hex edit jedi.cfg, run setup.exe and it will allow you to change the controls.

I attempted to make a mouselook script for Dark Forces but it doesn't work too well, partly because Look Up/Down will always move the same speed, so it's not fluid, but jerky. So it can't really be done well.

Last edited by The MAZZTer on Jan 15, 2010 17:38; edited 1 time in total

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2010 17:36    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Welcome to DF-21 Smile , it's good that you got the game up and running with our help and you're very welcome.

Unfortunately, DF's mouse-look is practically useless since it only allows you to move (oddly enough) back and forth and turn left and right. I haven't tried this myself yet, but you may be able to gain by using the arrow keys as the looking up and down and turning while using the WASD keys for strafing and moving forward. From there you'll have to map the other basic keys to suit your own playing style.

klasodeth
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2010 19:05    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

The best I was able to do was configure a Saitek game controller so that it emulated a joystick for the purposes of looking left and right, but emulated a keyboard for looking up and down. It worked better than I expected.

sheepandshepherd
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2010 22:25    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

The MAZZTer wrote:
You don't need to hex edit jedi.cfg, run setup.exe and it will allow you to change the controls.

That's true, configuring keys this way is much quicker. However, if you installed manually, setup.exe won't work. Also, if you want to change the key for "center view" (originally KP 5, I think), you need to hex edit the config file, as setup doesn't allow you to change it. I had to do this a while back; here are the instructions I found.
Though if you can't even open jedi.cfg, it may be a problem with your hex editor. Try a different one.

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2010 05:43    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

sheepandshepherd wrote:
However, if you installed manually, setup.exe won't work.

Yes it will, copy install.exe from the CD and rename it to setup.exe.

Lantern Jaw
Dianoga

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2010 08:42    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Wow, thanks everyone, will try all these things out later. Very Happy

Lantern Jaw
Dianoga

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2010 09:01    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

whether I rename Install.exe or not, all I get is "an error occurred whilst trying to read the jedi.cfg file" I'm on Win XP by the way and I did a manual install.

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2010 19:25    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Well you were futzing about with the jedi.cfg in a hex editor, maybe you corrupted it. :/

Try copying the one from the CD.

Lantern Jaw
Dianoga

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2010 22:08    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help.

SETUP.exe worked when I used dosbox. However re naming INSTALL to SETUP makes no difference as it still wants to install, which makes the game not run afterwards.

Using dosbox to run the actual game makes it too slow to actually be playable. Which I thought would be the case after having a similar issue with Alien Trilogy.

Also for some reason (after creating the dfrun.bat thing to make it not need the CD) my PC has created a P drive which is linked to my DARK folder.

Lantern Jaw
Dianoga

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2010 22:20    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

snap I know why It created the P drive now, doh.

Lantern Jaw
Dianoga

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2010 23:54    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Hey,

hopefully this will be the last word on this topic!! Because, I've sorted it now. Dosbox needed some over clocking and yes INSTALL needed changing to SETUP but then it needed to be dragged into the same folder as dark.exe (this is probably obvious to many but on the CD it is not in the same folder, and I only discovered that it moved folders upon seeing what happened in an auto installation)

Right, lets play!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: