The Dark Forces Community

DF-21.net Home | FAQ | Search | Memberlist  | Register 
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

Rendering Issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2010 07:58    Post subject: Rendering Issues View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I ran into some corner cases that aren't quite working, when it comes to a few complex sectors. However if I partially disable some of the culling (making it more conservative) and clipping then all the vanilla levels are rendered mostly correctly - though there are some minor rendering errors that weren't there before. You should still get better performance and a bunch of other fixes and additions so I've decided to release a build later tonight so that I can get back to gameplay and work on the remaining issues over time. I will still work on incremental builds, basically always making sure that the current renderer remains working as I fix the remaining problems. Once the problems are fixed, I'll turn on the missing pieces and then everything should render correctly.

So is everyone ok with the occasional rendering errors to get this thing moving again? (I think that's a rhetorical question - but you never know)

Anyway a new build is a few hours away. Smile

klasodeth
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2010 08:16    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

As long as the rendering errors don't consist of a blue screen and the contents of a memory dump, it's fine by me. Very Happy

Edit: Figures my main laptop would choose today to crash and burn. Confused

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2010 11:12    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

The build has been released!

Forum Topic

Emon
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2010 21:07    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Is performance really a concern? I can't imagine any DF level in existence providing any problem in terms of rendering speed. Even if you were rendering all of it.

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2010 21:54    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Holy phrik. I just realised that I haven't played Mines XL yet!

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2010 22:00    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Wow, that was intense. Non-scrambled floor and ceiling textures.

sheepandshepherd
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2010 22:19    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Barry Brien wrote:
Holy phrik. I just realised that I haven't played Mines XL yet!

Wow, awesome idea. I must go try Twisted Evil

EDIT: Wow, that was . . . disturbing. Now, back on topic: amazingly, Mines includes one of these complex sectors that's causing rendering issues. Who'd have thought it was possible? Also, it demonstrated another issue (not sure if this is meant to be finished yet, though I thought I'd let you know): while larger textures can be used on floors and ceilings in DXL, your dynamic lights don't work right with these textures. If a light is present, the "recolored" part of the texture is shrunk back down to 64x64, which looks VERY wierd. I'd show you a screenshot, but I don't remember how to get one in DXL, and again, it's just Mines, so it may not even be worth noting yet.

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2010 23:08    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I didn't notice any rendering issues. I did see a 3do that was sunken into the floor flicker a bit, but that's to be expected I think.

sheepandshepherd
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Feb 15, 2010 00:48    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Barry Brien wrote:
I didn't notice any rendering issues. I did see a 3do that was sunken into the floor flicker a bit, but that's to be expected I think.

Go in the "room" with the Death Star plans. Face the "door" and you'll see a small section of wall that's black. If you touch this wall, the rest of the sector it connects with will also turn black. I've seen it in quite a few levels, actually. Beyond Glory comes to mind . . . by the mysteriously useless pool of water at the very beginning. Of course, it could just be my crap computer. Has anyone else seen issues like this one? (Yes, I'm using the current build.)

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Feb 15, 2010 01:55    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

That's just a wonderful feature of Mines. When you see it in DF it just leads to crazy Homming. The idiot tore an adjoined wall from its partner and it remained adjoined.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> DarkXL News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: