The Dark Forces Community

DF-21.net Home | FAQ | Search | Memberlist  | Register 
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

Build 9.0 Released
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dinohog
Dianoga

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2010 07:40    Post subject: Download problems? View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

While this is great news, I am having trouble downloading the file. All I get is an unknown server error. I am trying clicking the link, right clicking to save as and using DTA (Firefox addon). The download doesn't work in IE either. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

[update] Never mind, it worked ten minutes later.

Last edited by dinohog on Feb 04, 2010 07:49; edited 1 time in total

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2010 07:47    Post subject: Re: Download problems? View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

dinohog wrote:
While this is great news, I am having trouble downloading the file. All I get is an unknown server error. I am trying clicking the link, right clicking to save as and using DTA (Firefox addon). The download doesn't work in IE either. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

DivShare is currently undergoing maintenance. If it doesn't work, just try again later.

Unity
Dianoga

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2010 10:21    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Great work! The new lighting looks fantastic.

I'll put issues into Codeplex as I find them. So just to clarify, there's no point in reporting erroneous rendering right now?

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2010 10:30    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Unity wrote:
Great work! The new lighting looks fantastic.

I'll put issues into Codeplex as I find them. So just to clarify, there's no point in reporting erroneous rendering right now?

No, not really.

BlazingPhoenix
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2010 20:39    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

The MAZZTer wrote:
Wait, since when do we have an IRC channel? O_o

It's from somewhere else that linked to it. Razz

sheepandshepherd
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2010 00:25    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Wow, one day and you've already got two pages of responses. I can say, we're definitely excited! Downloading the build now -- I'll probably check it out in detail later tonight, after some homework. And most of all, THANKS! The hard work will definitely pay off Very Happy

DF4GL4ever
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2010 07:07    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Making some great progress! I've linked a couple screenshots with a couple bugs that I've posted in the issue tracker. One is the adjoin issue that's been discussed. Another is the dynamic glow effect - it looks like in some cases the glow is cast outside the line of sight from the illuminating object. I saw this with some shield units in secbase.

Will gamma adjustment be available down the road? Secret base seemed brighter than I remember. Also, the blinking red lights in secret base up on the second floor outside don't cause the dynamic lighting to blink as well - but that was probably something that'll change later. Keep up the good work, your hours of development are appreciated!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geolegg/4332121330/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/geolegg/4331386875/

Added another picture, looks like both the doors in Talay at the bridge remain open after you first switch the bridge.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geolegg/4331397489/

Another thing to check, run under that broken door in Talay (that goes up and down with electrical noises). The texture slides along the door as it moves. Regular unscripted doors seems to move a bit slowly sometimes.

klasodeth
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2010 02:55    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

So, is there any news on when Build 9 will be released? I figured that what we're hearing about now is a hoax, since there's no official update on the main page. Razz

Jon`C
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2010 03:45    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Stuttering and slow-motion if vsync is disabled. You aren't using QueryPerformanceCounter. Mad

Bloom renders incorrectly with nvidia 3D Vision enabled.

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2010 05:15    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

klasodeth wrote:
So, is there any news on when Build 9 will be released? I figured that what we're hearing about now is a hoax, since there's no official update on the main page. Razz

YOU'RE a hoax >_>

Update your bookmarks lol, DarkXL isn't hosted by DF-21 anymore.

klasodeth
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2010 05:18    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

The MAZZTer wrote:
YOU'RE a hoax >_>

Bookmarks?! I'm talking about the internet here, not bound paper documents. Laughing

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2010 07:08    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Jon`C wrote:
Stuttering and slow-motion if vsync is disabled. You aren't using QueryPerformanceCounter. Mad

Game updates are done in fixed intervals - in order to make emulating certain types of behaviors easier as well as making scripting a bit simpler. The problem is that there is a bug in cases where there is less then 1 update interval per frame. Something that needs to be fixed, true, but that has nothing to do with using QueryPerformanceCounter incorrectly... For now if you turn the Driver preferences for VSync back to "Use the 3D application setting" DarkXL should behave better for you. In the future the restriction will be lifted at which point vsync will become an optional setting in the options menu (so you don't have to turn it off in the Driver Control Panel).
Jon`C wrote:
Bloom renders incorrectly with nvidia 3D Vision enabled.

Considering that I have an eye condition that does not allow me to see the 3D effect from standard stereo vision systems (myopia I think) and that I don't have the headset/glasses anyway, I have not put any effort into making 3D vision systems work for DarkXL. Sorry. Many commercial games don't support NVidia 3D so I didn't think I needed to go out of my way to support it for a hobby project at this time. Fortunately bloom can be disabled if you want using the Options dialog in the ESC menu or from the title screen, though I honestly have no idea how well the system will work even then.
The MAZZTer wrote:

While this is true, the forums are hosted here. Besides, even fansites like Doomworld will have news regarding Doom related ports/programs even though they are not hosted there (but they are discussed there).

Jon`C
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2010 07:47    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

lucius wrote:
Game updates are done in fixed intervals - in order to make emulating certain types of behaviors easier as well as making scripting a bit simpler. The problem is that there is a bug in cases where there is less then 1 update interval per frame. Something that needs to be fixed, true, but that has nothing to do with using QueryPerformanceCounter incorrectly...

Yeah, I had it backwards for some reason. Different badness happens with timeGetTime.

Fixed timestep is totally standard. The bug looks a lot like the frame interval is smaller than the floating point epsilon. Clamping it and/or switching your delta calculations/accumulator over to doubles would probably fix it.

Quote:
I have not put any effort into making 3D vision systems work for DarkXL. Sorry. Many commercial games don't support NVidia 3D so I didn't think I needed to go out of my way to support it for a hobby project at this time.

It mostly works perfectly as-is. Nvidia's driver patches shaders to get the left/right eye offset. For some reason it only works with the left eye for your bloom shader.

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2010 08:02    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Jon`C wrote:
Fixed timestep is totally standard. The bug looks a lot like the frame interval is smaller than the floating point epsilon. Clamping it and/or switching your delta calculations/accumulator over to doubles would probably fix it.

Yeah I'm pretty sure its a precision issue, I just haven't spent the time to fix it yet.

Jon`C wrote:
It mostly works perfectly as-is. Nvidia's driver patches shaders to get the left/right eye offset. For some reason it only works with the left eye for your bloom shader.

It probably has something to do with the way the bloom effect deals with depth. I'll look over my depth buffer states and see if I'm doing anything obviously wrong. In the future I can look into it more but it is very low priority at this point. I'm putting the renderer aside for a little while, other then fixing major bugs, to focus on gameplay and collision issues.

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2010 16:27    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

lucius wrote:
While this is true, the forums are hosted here. Besides, even fansites like Doomworld will have news regarding Doom related ports/programs even though they are not hosted there (but they are discussed there).

I just meant darkxl.df-21.net... which hasn't been updated since build 7f lol Very Happy

I can have it redriect to darkxl.wordpress.com if you want.

klasodeth
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2010 20:16    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

And I meant http://df-21.net/

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2010 20:24    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Sorry The MAZZTer, this appears to be a giant misunderstanding. Smile Klasodeth was originally referring to the news section on the main page of df-21, not the defunct website that I really need to do something about at some point. Embarassed

Emon
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2010 09:17    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I still got a hung note on Talay. I also noticed various collision issues, especially on 3DOs. I walked on a moving bridge and got stuck. The bridge disappeared. Also had collision problems in and around the little wrecked buildings/homes.

Also, when I entered that one dark room, the bar I think, I jumped over the counter and was promptly teleported back to the start of the level...

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2010 09:22    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Emon wrote:
I still got a hung note on Talay. I also noticed various collision issues, especially on 3DOs. I walked on a moving bridge and got stuck. The bridge disappeared. Also had collision problems in and around the little wrecked buildings/homes.

The next build will fix the collision issues. I'm almost done with the fixes. Smile
Edit - it's actually already implemented, I just have to add "sliding" and object collision back in.

Emon wrote:
Also, when I entered that one dark room, the bar I think, I jumped over the counter and was promptly teleported back to the start of the level...

You died. I really need to get the proper death sequence in. Razz

Marley
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2010 11:34    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Are you going to have another look at the player movement system? I find it's not fun to play at all in it's current form (you might have gotten used to it Very Happy ). When the player stops moving he drifts for a unit or so - aside from the fact that the amount of drift doesn't suite the mouse look controls which I've mentioned before also the drifting doesn't quite work right.

When running diagonally holding up and strafe - when you release it drifts either up or strafe depending on which key you were holding last - it really needs to drift diagonally other wise it's a nightmare to control.

Emon
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2010 00:43    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

lucius wrote:
You died. I really need to get the proper death sequence in. Razz

Oh, hah, I didn't even notice.

Even on hard I am finding DF VERY easy. I don't know if the AI isn't done or it's because mouselook is basically cheating, but it would be nice if there were some extended option to make it more difficult.

sheepandshepherd
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2010 04:15    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Emon wrote:
Even on hard I am finding DF VERY easy. I don't know if the AI isn't done or it's because mouselook is basically cheating, but it would be nice if there were some extended option to make it more difficult.

Yeah, mouselook probably makes the biggest difference. I also noticed their aim is a bit crappy, even for stormtroopers . . . though that may just be an illusion from the higher resolution. I think, as an extended feature, lucius (or one of us) should rebalance the enemies with better health, aim, strength, speed, etc. to make them match up better with the new and improved Kyle. The wimpishness of the first few implemented enemies makes me think the difference between DF and DXL is gonna be bigger than we expected . . . it'll become even more noticable when we start playing the more challenging custom missions.

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2010 07:04    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Funny you mention this - I experimented with a few script changes and found it's actually very easy to increase the difficulty. If I increase the accuracy, improve the reaction time and increase the firing rate then the challenge is increased a lot. (And these are basically changing a few variables in the script, not even changing the behavior itself). So an extended higher difficulty won't be a problem. Smile

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2010 18:49    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

It'd be interesting to see different difficulties implemented such as the classic just adding more enemies per setting to increased damage and accuracy from enemies.

Or for the ultimate difficulty a combination of the two for the truly hardcore Aaaaa

dinohog
Dianoga

PostPosted: Feb 15, 2010 05:50    Post subject: On Extra Hard Level Settings View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Maybe make extra hard an additional choice rather than changing the hardness from the original game. Maybe there is a custom slider for enemy characterisitics in the new launcher.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> DarkXL News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: