DF-21 Forums Forum Index DF-21 Forums
The Dark Forces Community

DF-21.net Home | FAQ | Search | Memberlist  | Register 
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

GMD looping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> Dark Forces Levels & Editing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Torture drroid 271
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Mar 03, 2010 12:36    Post subject: GMD looping View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I've been trying to loop custom GMD's for the past few days but when I do it says "error cannot find music.mid/l" any idea how to fix this or how to do it with DOSbox 7.3?

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Mar 03, 2010 22:08    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

are you putting a space between the midi file and the /l? ie
gmidi stalk-01.mid /l

Torture drroid 271
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2010 00:14    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Do I have to put stalk-01.mid or for example can I do: Forever_Forest.mid.

Torture drroid 271
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2010 00:19    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I just tried it and it didn't it work...can I drag the midi file onto DOSbox 7.3?

Torture drroid 271
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2010 01:21    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

No offense but everything you told me to do didn't work...what version of DOSbox and gmidi do you use?

klasodeth
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2010 01:34    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Are you really using a midi file called Forever_Forest.mid? If so, you might want to consider limiting the filename to eight characters or less. I don't know that it will fix your problem, but it's a good idea to avoid long filenames when dealing with DOS-era programs.

Torture drroid 271
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2010 01:41    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

No it's titled FOREVE~1 after it was converted. It's really the forest theme from paper mario because I wanted to use it for Talay or the Mystery of the morning wood. So thanks for the advice.

Torture drroid 271
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2010 01:58    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Ok so it still won't work and I'm running out of ideas of where to find a full tutorial.

Torture drroid 271
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2010 02:10    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Ok now GMIDI is seriously starting to pea me off beyond reason.

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2010 03:55    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Unless you have 64-bit Windows, you should not need to use DOSBox to use GMIDI. You're doing it wrong. Razz

Torture drroid 271
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2010 12:30    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Well when I open GMIDI without using DOSbox it opens then 2 seconds later it closes. When I convert a midi it does it in about 3-4 seconds.

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2010 23:39    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

You can't run legacy DOS programs like modern programs and expect them to work right. Razz

You need to run GMIDI from a Command Prompt, so you can pass in arguments. You may also be able to drag and drip a GMD file into GMIDI.EXE but that only passes in the GMD file without any other arguments so it may not be an acceptable solution (or may not work at all).

If you run GMIDI from DOSBox you may have difficulty transferring files between DOSBox and Windows especially with long file names. Since GMIDI is a normal DOS app and not a game you will get better compatibility just by running it in Windows.

Torture drroid 271
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2010 00:10    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Well I am using windows xp. But...unfortunately I don't know where to and where not to put spaces.

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2010 02:48    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

In Command Prompt you have to enclose file names with spaces in quotes. Same with paths that contain spaces.

C:\ is ok, C:\Program Files is not.
"C:\Program Files" is ok
file.ext is ok, "file.ext" is ok, "super file.ext" is also ok, super file.ext is not.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> Dark Forces Levels & Editing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: