DF-21 Forums Forum Index DF-21 Forums
The Dark Forces Community

DF-21.net Home | FAQ | Search | Memberlist  | Register 
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

Dark Forces Walkthrough

View previous topic :: View next topic  
•-BLaCKouT-•
Dianoga

PostPosted: Nov 14, 2004 13:22    Post subject: Dark Forces Walkthrough View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Heya folks Very Happy

As a couple of you know, I've been working on a walkthrough for Dark Forces. I know what you're thinking - there are tons of walkthroughs around for a ten year old game. This is true, but I did have my reasons.

I bought the PS1 version off Ebay recently for my 9 year old nephew. He loves JO and JA but hasn't played any of Kyles earlier adventures. So I'm round there and I get a shout of "can you help me with the game?" So I go up and guide him through the first level. Then he starts asking me about the second level and it occurred to me that I couldn't remember :p Worse still, I had the same attention span 10 years ago that he's got now, and I think I originally gave up on the game at level 4.

So, I went looking on t'internet for a walkthrough to print out for him. The problem I found was they were either too complex for him to get (like the ones with the list of co-ordinates) or they tended to skip over large chunks with a phrase like "find the blue key up on the next level". So I played through the game (yes, using a walkthrough :p ) and wrote a new walkthrough as I went along. I played it through on the PS1 version too, to check that it's easy enough to do. And the result... is right here. It's an Adobe Acrobat file so you'll need the reader.

I printed out a couple, made a transparency cover and wire-bound them (one for him, one for me):

So, yeah. Lemme know what ya think anyways!
Smile B.

Casey Neumiller
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Nov 14, 2004 16:03    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

I just skimmed through it, but wow. Shocked I'm very impressed.

Nottheking
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Nov 14, 2004 22:22    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Didn't you post the beginnings of it here a month or so ago? Nonetheless, it's very nice. Had Dark Forces been only ayear or two old, work like that would've been sellable, like a Prima Strategy Guide.

Nottheking
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Nov 14, 2004 22:29    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Oh, and I made a version of the "damage chart" that seems to be more like what numbers where actually used in the game. I stored it in some sort of chart format, and I'll se if I can dig it up someehere, or just re-build it. (I've committed all the figures to memory)

[edit: here's a list of each weapon's damage.]

I generated this by creating a level with TWO isntances of the "PLAYER" logic, thus allowing Kyle to literally "shoot himself," without any interference by having to bounce his shots off of magsealed walls. The only one I'm not sure of is the missile launcher. Ranges indicate that, for the fists, damage seems to varry depending on how the player is moving when you attack. for energy weapons, damage is varried depending on how far away the target is. For explosions, the range is from the damage at the very edge, to the absolute center (the target was hit by the detonating object directly):
  1. Kyle's Fists: 5-15 damage
  2. [b]Modified Bryar Pistol: 8-10
  3. Blastech E-11 (Stormtrooper rifle): 8-10
  4. Thermal detonators: 1-45
  5. Imperial Repeater Rifle: 10
  6. Jeron Fustion Cutter: 13-15
  7. Imperial Machines (I.M.) Mines: 3-90
  8. Packard Mortar Gun: 1-45
  9. Stouker Concussion Rifle: 30
  10. Imperial Assault Cannon: 30
  11. Imperial Rocket Launcher: 1-60?
It seems all enemies take the same damage ratio as does Kyle, and my tests have shown this to be accurate. Based upon number of shots to kill, each enemy has:
  • Imperial Officer: 10 health
  • Imperial Stormtrooper: 20
  • Imperial Commando: 30
  • Remote: 1
  • Mousbot: 20
  • Imperial Probe Droid: 40
  • Imperial Interrogator Droid: 40
  • Automated Laser Turret: 60
  • Automated Wielding Arm: 130
  • Power Generating Unit: 15
  • Dianoga: 30
  • Gran: 40
  • Trandoshan: 50
  • Gammorean: 90
  • Kell Dragon: 180
  • Boba Fett: 240
  • Dark Trooper Phase I: 180
  • Dark Trooper Phase II: 360
  • Dark Trooper Phase III: 720
Of course, it's been a while since I did these tests, so my memory may have failed me somewhat here. But these are likely to be the most accurate figures availible to date.

Last edited by Nottheking on Nov 14, 2004 22:51; edited 1 time in total

Darth Oosha
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Nov 14, 2004 22:35    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

You can do that with a setup like that in Scape Goat's "Multi PLAYERs" showcase level, correct?

Nottheking
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Nov 14, 2004 22:51    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Darth Oosha wrote:
You can do that with a setup like that in Scape Goat's "Multi PLAYERs" showcase level, correct?

Yes, that's similar to what I did.

•-BLaCKouT-•
Dianoga

PostPosted: Nov 15, 2004 21:48    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Ta for the nice words Smile

Yeah, it's the one I was starting a month ago. Having free time isn't my speciality at the moment, so it's been a bit of a dragger.

I like your damage/health stats, very nice! I gave him the walkthrough last night and he was straight upstairs to test it out. I still ended up reading it to him as he played though, but never mind. I reckon his dad can go through it with him with it too Wink We got to the end of Fest so there's still plenty of bonding-time there!

Now I'm just waiting for the point where I've typed left instead of right and I get a confused phone call from him... Laughing

The only thing I wanted to add to it but couldn't was a map of the GFFA with the planets in the game marked on it. But all of the maps I've seen don't mention most of them (I don't think one mention in a game 10 years ago warrants full SW canon sadly).

Ah well...

Smile B.

Darth Oosha
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Nov 15, 2004 23:45    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I think Anoat City, Nar Shaddaa, and Coruscant are the only locations that played a significant role outside DF. I'm pretty sure nobody knows where Talay, Gromas, Orniackra, Cal-Seti, and Anteevy are.

http://hometown.aol.com/dnjcustoms/donstoys.html - interesting side note found by googling "Orniackra". It's probably been mentioned before.

Nottheking
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Nov 16, 2004 17:35    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Darth Oosha wrote:
I think Anoat City, Nar Shaddaa, and Coruscant are the only locations that played a significant role outside DF. I'm pretty sure nobody knows where Talay, Gromas, Orniackra, Cal-Seti, and Anteevy are.

http://hometown.aol.com/dnjcustoms/donstoys.html - interesting side note found by googling "Orniackra". It's probably been mentioned before.

You forgot that Danuta is effectively a cannon world; it would likely be listed on SW star maps.

Armydude71490
Dianoga

PostPosted: Nov 16, 2004 23:48    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I think most people would rather use codes then a walk through!

I usually beat a game once with codes and then a second time on hardest difficulty with out getting any specail powerups and new weapons and stuff!

[URL=http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~taierip/imperial_march.mp3]
Imperial March[/URL]

Steve Miller
Dianoga

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2010 15:58    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Does anyone still have this guide? Perhaps it can be uploaded to the site.

joel96
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Sep 21, 2010 17:25    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

woah, six year bump!

Steve Miller
Dianoga

PostPosted: Sep 22, 2010 23:35    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I don't think time is calculated quite the same here. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> Showcase All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: