DF-21 Forums Forum Index DF-21 Forums
The Dark Forces Community

DF-21.net Home | FAQ | Search | Memberlist  | Register 
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

Dark Forces Conceptual Artwork Depository

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BD Hopkins
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Nov 12, 2010 05:53    Post subject: Dark Forces Conceptual Artwork Depository View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I've been sitting on these scans of Dark Forces conceptual artwork from the Official Player's Guide for quite some time.

For artists, I've left them in .PSD format and maximum quality:

DF_Concept_Art_PSD.7z

Use the excellent, free image archiver 7-zip to decompress. The password is "df-21".

Last edited by BD Hopkins on Nov 23, 2010 01:14; edited 3 times in total

Magic_Al
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Nov 12, 2010 11:27    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Very good! Thank you.

Armed only with a blaster pistol and an intimate knowledge of
Imperial methods, MagicAl prepares to go to lunch....

Gez
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Nov 12, 2010 11:47    Post subject: Re: Dark Forces Conceptual Artwork Depository View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

BD Hopkins wrote:
They are in loseless .psd format which can be viewed in Photoshop or the excellent, free image viewer Irfanview.

GIMP too, for those who can't afford Potatoshop.

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Nov 13, 2010 15:11    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Irfanview is faster to load and is geared toward image viewing, GIMP and Photoshop are editing tools.

That said, PSD format is also geared toward editing and not toward distribution... the files store all editing history and can get quite large. .PNG delivers just as good quality but does not store that information which is useless for most people. .JPG is lossy but it is much smaller file size and usually good enough for most people (as are .MP3s for music).

[Edit: I've uploaded the JPEGs for easier viewing: http://df-21.net/DF_Concept_Art/ ]

[Edit: Increased the compression on the JPEGs to cut the filesizes in half.]

Gez
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Nov 13, 2010 15:51    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

The main interest of PSD files (or XCF, etc.) is that it stores layer information. When the pic is of a single layer, a PNG is better; it's just as lossless and it's a lot more compact (especially if you pass it through PNGout or similar).

The MAZZTer
Death Star
Death Star

PostPosted: Nov 13, 2010 15:55    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Yeah, layers and edit history are the big points. These have need for neither. Smile

Anyways PSD is just not a web-friendly format (hence the need for zipping them up and not being able to display them in the browser). I could even get these JPEG file sizes down a lot more without any noticeable quality drop but I don't feel like futzing with that right now.

Magic_Al
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Nov 13, 2010 16:28    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

It would be a bit of work to do seamlessly in the original 8-bit color palette and resolution but it would be nice to complete the top of Kyle's head for future reference, and I could revise my DarkXL splash screen which currently has poorly Photoshopped Harrison Ford hair.

BD Hopkins
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Nov 13, 2010 17:22    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Magic_Al wrote:
It would be a bit of work to do seamlessly in the original 8-bit color palette and resolution but it would be nice to complete the top of Kyle's head for future reference, and I could revise my DarkXL splash screen which currently has poorly Photoshopped Harrison Ford hair.
http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww240/Nem-Wan/kyle_300.gif

Coooool!

BD Hopkins
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Nov 23, 2010 02:22    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I've updated my original post.

I cropped the images tighter and finished the rotations; I removed the joke image of the photochopped Katarn from the set (I may post it later with other miscellaneous images); I displayed the jpeg set in this thread.

Consequently, some of the above comments about picture formatting may not make as much sense.

:) (:

joel96
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2010 02:55    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I wish someone would make a model of 40s gangster Katarn. He looks kind of like Al Capone meets Donald Duck.

waxonator
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2010 08:25    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Magic_Al
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Dec 10, 2010 04:37    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

waxonator wrote:

Nice! That's what I was talking about. Good job. May I update my DF Collage aka DarkXL menu background with that?

waxonator
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Dec 10, 2010 07:04    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Sure! Go ahead.

klasodeth
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Dec 10, 2010 08:31    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Wow! That is some excellent work! Very Happy

joel96
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Dec 11, 2010 02:15    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

lol epic win! That picture rocks! It captures the essence of pre-beard Katarn, that grouchy brow, those enormously full lips, the too-cool-for-briefings popped collar, and that shlump that says "I don't want to be here, your mission is stupid." Very Happy

waxonator
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: Dec 12, 2010 01:40    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I also reduced his wrinkles to make him look young like he is supposed too.

Lawstiker
Dianoga

PostPosted: Dec 16, 2010 00:34    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

thats some awesome work right there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: