DF-21 Forums Forum Index DF-21 Forums
The Dark Forces Community

DF-21.net Home | FAQ | Search | Memberlist  | Register 
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

Future game suggestion: "In Pursuit of Greed"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> Feature Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kurgan
Dianoga

PostPosted: Dec 25, 2010 02:32    Post subject: Future game suggestion: "In Pursuit of Greed" View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Anybody remember this 1996 FPS from Softdisc publishing and Channel7?

It was mainly multiplayer focused, but had 22 single player missions. Rather than being the typical linear style of FPS gameplay, it had you basically wandering around these arenas or mazes, locating a specific item and if possible a few secondary items, and then the rest was based on points (earned from picking up treasures and killing enemies).

You could jump and look up/down. There were curved floors and elevators. It was a sprite based game, but they were 2D sprites created from 3D rendered objects.

There were 8 player multiplayer options and even support for "VR Helmets" (I think all that was, was turning your head was the same as moving the mouse).

It also featured 5 different multiplayer classes (their stats were different as were their starting pistol and melee weapon) that you could use in single or multiplayer, plus the usual team colors. In multiplayer you would compete for points, and there were lots of items you could use like inflatable walls, land mines and hologram that could be used as exploding decoys or an device that would turn you into the nearest object.

This game is hard to find nowadays, as I think the only way to get it was to order it online (though the 3 level shareware version is very easy to find).

It had a killer techno soundtrack created by Necros, and many of the tracks made a comeback in Epic's "Unreal," a few years later.

There was also a feature called the "A.S.S. cam" which was a picture in picture on the screen that showed what was directly behind you (you could set it to capture real time or limit it to a certain few frames per second), as there was no third person mode.

So in some ways it was more advanced than Doom, but nowhere near as popular (and the 3D renders didn't look that great overall). The main annoyance today are the grainy graphics, lack of true mouse-look, and modern internet play.

Back in the days of the Prodigy network this game was heavily hyped, but when it was finally released, it was promptly forgotten, because people were playing Quake 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPIKbisRWi0
(Video of gameplay)

So, once the two DXL's are done and PongXL is finished... this game I think deserves a port. Wink

Lawstiker
Dianoga

PostPosted: Dec 25, 2010 21:24    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

I remember this game, hazily at least. Been quite a while since I dragged that thing out to play. Though if I remember right I think I had some fun with it. Getting a port for this would be quite awesome...but I certainly don't see it as something coming around anytime soon.

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Dec 26, 2010 00:25    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Obviously I'm not making any addition game support/"port" plans beyond what I've already stated until much later.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> Feature Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: