DF-21 Forums Forum Index DF-21 Forums
The Dark Forces Community

DF-21.net Home | FAQ | Search | Memberlist  | Register 
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in

An extreimely important question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> Feature Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2009 15:04    Post subject: An extreimely important question View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Will we still be able to send enemies flying into the sky by crouching, looking up and punching?

Fenwar
Admiral Ackbar
Admiral Ackbar

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2009 22:19    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

If not then it will be the first script I write for the new engine.

Also, you've just made me want to create a mini-level where you win by punching all the enemies into high-up niches.

(Has anyone tried to do this?)

Nottheking
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2009 23:06    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

That would actually be an interesting gimmick. I don't recall seeing this used as a mechanic before... In fact, I don't recall this ever even being DISCOVERED by and large until it was noted that this would break the "reflection effect" in Dark Tide III.

The question, of course, is if this could be used in a practical, non-parody level. Or, I suppose, just how hilariously done it can be. (punch the Ewoks!)

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Oct 11, 2009 00:36    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Fenwar wrote:

Also, you've just made me want to create a mini-level where you win by punching all the enemies into high-up niches.

I started to make a showcase level based on the concept a good few years ago where you scored points by smacking gamorrean guards into a variety of 'baskets' dotted around a room, but I never got to finish it, and it was forgotten until I remembered it yesterday. I'm hoping to get a new version of it out soon. But of course feel free to do your own as well, I don't want to be stepping on any toes.

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Oct 11, 2009 00:48    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

As far as I know it works on stormtrooprs, officers and commandos, gamorreans, grans and trandoshans; and I think it might work on interrogation droids if they get low enough but I'm not certain. Pity it doesn't work on kell dragons or dark troopers. I wonder why. Wouldn't it be cool to be able to kill a phase 1 with one punch.

But for a level it would require LAIMLAME and you could only really use grans and/or gamorreans. Anybody else would just mess it up by shooting each other...

Actually whats the story with the DarkXL AI? What about improving it so the stormtroopers don't shoot each other or the bossk or reeyees doesn't kill everybody else trying to get you? Or where they do that thing where the imperials walk up to you, take a shot at you, then walk away with their backs to you, turn sideways for a while and then turn back and take another shot. That's always annoyed me.

Burning Gundam
Kell Dragon

PostPosted: Oct 11, 2009 03:46    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Fenwar wrote:

This is a brilliant idea.

Fenwar
Admiral Ackbar
Admiral Ackbar

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2009 22:25    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Barry Brien wrote:
Actually whats the story with the DarkXL AI? What about improving it so the stormtroopers don't shoot each other or the bossk or reeyees doesn't kill everybody else trying to get you? Or where they do that thing where the imperials walk up to you, take a shot at you, then walk away with their backs to you, turn sideways for a while and then turn back and take another shot. That's always annoyed me.

1. walk up to reflective forcefield
  2. fire weapon
  3. recoil in pain
  4. repeat until dead

Always a favourite.

Barry Brien
Dark Trooper Phase 1

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2009 22:42    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Haha yeah, idiots. Were the baddies in Doom or Duke Nukem ever this thick?

Gez
Gamorrean

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2009 06:34    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Barry Brien wrote:
Haha yeah, idiots. Were the baddies in Doom or Duke Nukem ever this thick?

Given a weapon firing bouncing projectiles or a reflective forcefield? Yeah.

The AI for these games was always extremely simple; if it had to take into account the materials around it it would have taken far too much CPU power and slowed the whole game down.

The simple fix here would be to consider forcefields as impassable lines for the purpose of line-of-sight computations. Not a change in AI routines at all.

sheepandshepherd
Trandoshan

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2009 13:13    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Gez wrote:
The simple fix here would be to consider forcefields as impassable lines for the purpose of line-of-sight computations. Not a change in AI routines at all.

As far as firing goes, yes, but make sure they still detect the player through forcefields and windows.

BD Hopkins
Ree-Yees

PostPosted: May 21, 2010 01:44    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

Barry Brien wrote:
What about improving it so the stormtroopers don't shoot each other or the bossk or reeyees doesn't kill everybody else trying to get you?

These behaviors have always seemed to me as well-suited to Gran and Trandoshans, the former as mindless thugs and the later as blood-thirsty hunters. Owing to the lack of movie presence for these species, the early appearance of Dark Forces relative to other EU material I consumed, and the impressionable nature of the video game medium, the most influential material upon myself that informs their behavior is Dark Forces.

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Sep 23, 2010 21:10    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

The DarkXL enemy AI is all scripted, so having future mods with improvements seems pretty likely. In the past I played around with making the AI more aggressive and accurate and that alone made the game much more difficult.

Clonehunter
Dianoga

PostPosted: Dec 27, 2010 00:41    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote

(Oldish thread, yes, but...)

I guess I'm not catching on, but for AI, is the plan to recreate the original behavior of AI? Or improve it ten fold?

lucius
DarkXL Developer
DarkXL Developer

PostPosted: Dec 27, 2010 02:22    Post subject: View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote

Clonehunter wrote:
(Oldish thread, yes, but...)

I guess I'm not catching on, but for AI, is the plan to recreate the original behavior of AI? Or improve it ten fold?

Implement the original behavior by default (with some optional difficulty tweaking). However since it is all scripted, it would be easy to add improved AI in the future - and anyone can do it. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DF-21 Forums Forum Index -> Feature Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: